Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (1-0) vs. Minnesota Timberwolves (0-1)
(05-24-2024, 11:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Minny did a better job in the pick and roll compared to game one but the Mavs made some great adjustments in the second half. Mostly running double ball screens / spain pick and roll. Wolves never figured out the right switches and Mavs got whatever they wanted on offense. Should have scored more but still cannot make open jumpshots.

Last possession was a gift by the Wolves coaching staff. There are two guys on the Mavs roster that you don't want to have with the ball in their hands with the game on the line. Luka and Kyrie. Kyrie was more of a decoy. Luka gets the ball but instead of doubling him they switch their slowest defender onto Luka. Nothing Gobert can do. Cannot even blame him because he should have never been in that position. Don't think Luka ever created as much space on a game winner.
Only one possible outcome. Mavs win the game and we all get a new dancing Rudy meme.

Yeah, I am surprised that was their defensive plan.  I would have done anything possible to have Luka give up the ball.  I would much rather Lively catch the ball at the free throw line and put the game in his hands.  I may not even help off the three point shooters.  At worst the game is tied with a few seconds left.   

While Gobert has been fine, his inability to finish in the lane is tough.   On the other hand, I would have not guessed that Dallas centers would be murdering the rim as much as they are.    It is really impressive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
Last play of the game. Jamal Crawford predicts EXACTLY what will happen 1 minute before it happens. Pundits are in awe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uSJvteDrwY
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 11:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Also cannot believe that Finch really benched KAT in the 4th quarter. I thought PJ had one of his worst games in a Mavs jersey and he still outplayed Towns.

I genuinely can't believe this either.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 10:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I genuinely can't believe this either.

For some reason, KAT disappears in big games. He's got immense talent, but he never has put it all together, or have a signature game or series to help his team win. But Finch went with Reid who had a great game, and you can't fault him for that.
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 03:08 AM)BobyM Wrote: "Dances With Wolves"

I'm guessing this has been used before in some other Minny playoff series but that is perfect.
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 07:00 AM)Winter Wrote: Actually, I did predict Timmy's minutes in a post from yesterday. But it was simply a matter of listening to Jason Kidd say he liked the way Hardy was playing - which I took as code for Hardy gets those minutes now. 

I have to believe that THj is truly bad these days. He's well-liked and I know Kidd would play him if he was at least decent. But his three-point attempts during the last two months have looked terrible.

Plus, Hardy give the Mavs a distributor and playmaker to help take some of the load off Luka when Kyrie is taking a breather.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 11:40 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: For some reason, KAT disappears in big games. He's got immense talent, but he never has put it all together, or have a signature game or series to help his team win. But Finch went with Reid who had a great game, and you can't fault him for that.

For some reason he disappears in home games in these play-offs. We better be ready for game 3.

Wolves @home 3-4

TOWNS 14.1 /  8.4 / 3.0, 36 / 30 / 90

Wolves on the road 5-1

TOWNS 23.2 / 9.9 / 2.5,   57/ 48 / 76
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • Knutsen, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 07:33 AM)Jmaciscool Wrote: After seeing that dumb bad pass turnover with 12 seconds left I thought "Wow, maybe Ant really is the next Jordan...Poole."

I think this undersells the greatness of Lively's defense on that possession quite a bit. That might've been the first time in Edwards' career he has forced a switch onto a 7-footer and not been able to get him to bite on a fake or even gotten him off balance. It was PERFECT defense in the package of a 7'7" wingspan, and Edwards clearly panicked.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
I have missed hanging out in the game thread the past two games (can't come back until the Mavs lose, just in case it upsets the baseball gods), but absence comes with the perk of getting to read through it the next day. Some of y'all are prone to hysteria and I'm here for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 01:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have missed hanging out in the game thread the past two games (can't come back until the Mavs lose, just in case it upsets the baseball gods), but absence comes with the perk of getting to read through it the next day. Some of y'all are prone to hysteria and I'm here for it.

I have avoided the game chat this series, both here and discord, and had the best viewing experiences in a long while. The negativity, hysteria, trolls and hot takes with every possession can be a bit much. 

Do you find it more enjoyable during the break or prefer the in game chat more?
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 01:59 PM)Smitty Wrote: I have avoided the game chat this series, both here and discord, and had the best viewing experiences in a long while. The negativity, hysteria, trolls and hot takes with every possession can be a bit much. 

Do you find it more enjoyable during the break or prefer the in game chat more?

Apples and bowling balls. 

I think the anxiety of the moment is somewhat decreased not being here in live time, which is closer for me to being at the games (I used to play on the drum line, so Iv'e probably been to 300 Mavs games, including every home game during the 2011 run), and that can be exhilarating in the same way a good horror film is. Plus, I'm in music for a living, so all of my "life friends" have either never heard of Luka or are casual fans, at best. The vast majority of my "Mavs friends" are in this community, and if feels right from my POV to experience big Mavs moments here with them. 

But, yes, I do find that I'm less distracted by panic, trolling and just genuinely bad basketball takes when I'm not in the game thread. It really is the worst (or best, from a certain "raw hunanity" angle) thing we have to offer in this community. Again, reading through it the next day (which I've noticed is Dan and Omahen's approach) is like comedy GOLD.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, DallasMaverick, mvossman, SleepingHero, Smitty, WillE
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 02:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Apples and bowling balls. 

I think the anxiety of the moment is somewhat decreased not being here in live time, which is closer for me to being at the games (I used to play on the drum line, so Iv'e probably been to 300 Mavs games, including every home game during the 2011 run), and that can be exhilarating in the same way a good horror film is. Plus, I'm in music for a living, so all of my "life friends" have either never heard of Luka or are casual fans, at best. The vast majority of my "Mavs friends" are in this community, and if feels right from my POV to experience big Mavs moments here with them. 

But, yes, I do find that I'm less distracted by panic, trolling and just genuinely bad basketball takes when I'm not in the game thread. It really is the worst (or best, from a certain "raw hunanity" angle) thing we have to offer in this community. Again, reading through it the next day (which I've noticed is Dan and Omahen's approach) is like comedy GOLD.
Much love and respect to you mavs brother. It’s starting to feel special. I hope you’re enjoying yourself
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 02:16 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Much love and respect to you mavs brother. It’s starting to feel special. I hope you’re enjoying yourself

Right back atcha, my dude! 

It's a good time to be a Mavs fan!!!
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 01:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have missed hanging out in the game thread the past two games (can't come back until the Mavs lose, just in case it upsets the baseball gods), but absence comes with the perk of getting to read through it the next day. Some of y'all are prone to hysteria and I'm here for it.

I’m one who lurks here more than I post, but during the regular season I am frequently reading through game threads in real time (sometimes posting lol). During the playoffs, I’m so nervous and intensely into the game that I do nothing except stay glued to the TV! I typically will read back through the last few pages of the game thread afterwards if we win!!!
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 02:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Apples and bowling balls. 

It’s mine as well. Can’t take the toxicity. Actually I tend to avoid the board n general after a loss and particularly game threads
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • Arioch, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 01:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this undersells the greatness of Lively's defense on that possession quite a bit. That might've been the first time in Edwards' career he has forced a switch onto a 7-footer and not been able to get him to bite on a fake or even gotten him off balance. It was PERFECT defense in the package of a 7'7" wingspan, and Edwards clearly panicked.

So true! And what a contrast to Luka and the you-can’t-guard-me mother f’r moments later!
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 02:46 PM)The Jom Wrote: So true! And what a contrast to Luka and the you-can’t-guard-me mother f’r moments later!

Absolutely! Even on one leg, Luka (and Kyrie) is exuding an air of "yeah, whatever, we've been here before" that is making a real difference.
Like Reply

Being afraid to upset the baseball gods of all gods is a whole new level of superstition, Killer… 

I‘m reading the gamethreads afterwards as well, only the last pages when we lost, but chronologically from the beginning after we won, because it’s a great way of going through the motions one more time until the happy ending with the pure enjoyment and happiness. During the games I‘m busy enough holding my own nerves in check, I need my fingernails to chew on, no chance to use them for posting on the board… 

Great you‘ve been on the drumline, so we‘ve probably seen you in action without knowing a lot of times! Being from Germany I‘ve never been able to see a Mavs game live, I‘ve only been to one NBA game in my life, which was a playoff game of the Jazz against the Kings in 2002, in Utah of all places. What can I say, Utah is a bad city!
[-] The following 2 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 03:11 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Being afraid to upset the baseball gods of all gods is a whole new level of superstition, Killer… 

I‘m reading the gamethreads afterwards as well, only the last pages when we lost, but chronologically from the beginning after we won, because it’s a great way of going through the motions one more time until the happy ending with the pure enjoyment and happiness. During the games I‘m busy enough holding my own nerves in check, I need my fingernails to chew on, no chance to use them for posting on the board… 

Great you‘ve been on the drumline, so we‘ve probably seen you in action without knowing a lot of times! Being from Germany I‘ve never been able to see a Mavs game live, I‘ve only been to one NBA game in my life, which was a playoff game of the Jazz against the Kings in 2002, in Utah of all places. What can I say, Utah is a bad city!

I don't really believe in superstitions like that, of course. 

But, when your team is in the final four, up 2-0...why give fate any reason at all to teach you humility? 

I didn't realize you were one of our German fans! So cool that you're still with us, years after Dirk's retirement! Thanks for being here!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Knutsen, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 03:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't really believe in superstitions like that, of course. 

But, when your team is in the final four, up 2-0...why give fate any reason at all to teach you humility? 

I didn't realize you were one of our German fans! So cool that you're still with us, years after Dirk's retirement! Thanks for being here!

Superstitions!!!! I have been wearing the same Mavericks shirt and shorts for every playoff game. My wife knows not to throw them in the wash!!
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply