Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil
(07-08-2024, 08:49 AM)Dundalis Wrote: While I don't disagree, I still think PJ is a potential weakness that an elite defense can hedge off of to keep some connectivity. I'm really hoping he can improve his shooting, because if one of our new guys comes through with the defense and can shoot, his spot might be up for grabs at some point later in the season.

For me the final upgrade if something becomes available maybe at the TDL is essentially someone that can do a lot of what PJ does but is also a good shooter.

I am hoping he spends all summer working on shooting. Getting him through a training camp should help tremendously in that regard. He could flat out score in Charlotte. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time now before we see that in Dallas.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
It helps that PJ will be asked to be the 4th scorer this year instead of 3rd.

If we take the scoring average for Luka over the last 5 years he’s at 30.2 ppg. Having to do less, I’d expect that to be a good number, down from 33.9 last year on a whopping 37.5 mpg. Kyrie had his lowest scoring output in 5 years at 25.6. That seems repeatable. Klay’s ppg total was his lowest since year 2 in the league, but still averaged an efficient 17.9 ppg. PJ has been around 12 ppg almost every year and almost hit that number with the Mavs, despite poor shooting from 3 (11.7 ppg | 31% from 3). Lively finished his rookie year at 8.8 ppg.

If we’re conservative the scoring balance could look like this:

Luka - 30 ppg
Kyrie - 25 ppg
Klay - 18 ppg
PJW - 12 ppg
Lively - 10 ppg

That’s 95 ppg from your starters. And none of them are being asked to do anything out of the norm.
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-08-2024, 05:16 PM)Smitty Wrote: It helps that PJ will be asked to be the 4th scorer this year instead of 3rd.

If we take the scoring average for Luka over the last 5 years he’s at 30.2 ppg. Having to do less, I’d expect that to be a good number, down from 33.9 last year on a whopping 37.5 mpg. Kyrie had his lowest scoring output in 5 years at 25.6. That seems repeatable. Klay’s ppg total was his lowest since year 2 in the league, but still averaged an efficient 17.9 ppg. PJ has been around 12 ppg almost every year and almost hit that number with the Mavs, despite poor shooting from 3 (11.7 ppg | 31% from 3). Lively finished his rookie year at 8.8 ppg.

Luka - 30 ppg
Kyrie - 25 ppg
Klay - 18 ppg
PJW - 12 ppg
Lively - 10 ppg

That’s 95 ppg from your starters. And none of them are being asked to do anything out of the norm.

Me seeing that written down and realizing the Mavs have a legit starting 5

[Image: shock.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-08-2024, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Me seeing that written down and realizing the Mavs have a legit starting 5

[Image: shock.gif]

and 3 bench guys in Marshall, Grimes, and Gafford who are 5th starter quality
[-] The following 4 users Like Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-08-2024, 07:53 PM)Jym Wrote: and 3 bench guys in Marshall, Grimes, and Gafford who are 5th starter quality

That is probably the most likely playoff rotation at this point.  With Luka, Kyrie and Klay all playing big playoff minutes, you can have all three start and finish and stagger them the rest of the time always having two on the court.  Naji comes in when Luka or PJ go out, and Grimes comes in when Klay or Kyrie go out.  The center spot will be Lively/Gafford/Maxi.

In the regular season you are still going to start and finish Luka, Kyire and Klay, but for less minutes leaving roughly 15 a game for Hardy/Exum to fill in the second offensive player slot.  It should also be fairly easy to find 10+ minutes a game for Omax development.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-08-2024, 05:16 PM)Smitty Wrote: It helps that PJ will be asked to be the 4th scorer this year instead of 3rd.

Luka - 30 ppg
Kyrie - 25 ppg
Klay - 18 ppg
PJW - 12 ppg
Lively - 10 ppg

(07-08-2024, 07:53 PM)Jym Wrote: and 3 bench guys in Marshall, Grimes, and Gafford who are 5th starter quality

I'll do the same for the bench. I'll add my preference for the other two, which will be Hardy and Exum over Maxi.  Exum played 19.8 mpg last year and averaged 7.8 ppg, playing in 55 games, starting in 17 of those. I have him penciled in for 12 mpg next year which puts him at 4.6 ppg. Hardy I have at 14 mpg next year which is exactly where he's been the last two years with the Mavs, and he averages 7.9 ppg in his career. Grimes coming in at 18 mpg next year which is below his 23.4 mpg career average but pretty close to last years 20.1 mpg. He shot a career low across the board and averaged 7.0 ppg. Naji I have penciled in as the backup 4 and getting 18 mpg, which is right around his playing time last year of 19 mpg, where he averaged 7.1 ppg. Then there's Gaff and his 22 mpg I have him getting next year which is what he averaged for the Mavs last year (21.5). He had a career high 11.2 ppg with the Mavs.

Exum - 4 ppg
Hardy - 7 ppg
Grimes - 6 ppg
Naji - 6 ppg
Gafford - 10 ppg

That’s 33 ppg from your bench. And none of them are being asked to do anything out of the norm.

Combine that with the 95 from the starters and you're sitting at 128 ppg. The Pacers led the league last year with 123.3 ppg. I think the Mavs went out and fixed their offensive issues from the Finals.
Like Reply
[Image: GSEDHglWYAAg2kx?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Knutsen
Like Reply
(07-09-2024, 01:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: GSEDHglWYAAg2kx?format=jpg&name=large]

I got really excited while listening to him talking about the Mavericks, his fit and ambition and feeling his joy and motivation. And also seeing the huge respect the other two new Mavericks have for him. Can’t wait for the season to start!
[-] The following 3 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-09-2024, 06:10 PM)Knutsen Wrote: I got really excited while listening to him talking about the Mavericks, his fit and ambition and feeling his joy and motivation. And also seeing the huge respect the other two new Mavericks have for him. Can’t wait for the season to start!

Yes, I came away surprised by his knowledge and respect for the history of this franchise. I don't know it that's something he had all along or if he just knew he was about to need to say nice things about the Mavericks, but I was impressed either way.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-09-2024, 06:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, I came away surprised by his knowledge and respect for the history of this franchise. I don't know it that's something he had all along or if he just knew he was about to need to say nice things about the Mavericks, but I was impressed either way.

That’s a future Jeopardy contestant you’re talking about…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/18...7189765537

Klay Thompson had a nice welcome message to Mavs fans.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/18...04/video/2

First few shots of Klay as a Mav during practice.

Peep PJ Washington in the background working out with him!
Like Reply
Klay posted this to his socials yesterday unprompted:

[Image: GSVw7yvWYAE3ojm?format=jpg&name=900x900]
[Image: GSVqUfYXoAA7qIR?format=jpg&name=medium]

He really knows how to win my heart.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Knutsen, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://x.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1816192633661755493

This is a 14 minute video of Luka+Lively connections this last year in the PnR. So why did I decide to post it in a Klay Thompson thread? Because I want y'all to imagine in some of these plays where Klay is in the corner or above the break and how it radically changes the dynamics of the opposing teams' scheme. The other team will have to basically concede a wide open dunk for Lively because the off-man can't sink in.

The guy who will have to sink is the one guarding PJ, but if PJ is far enough away from the basket, it's unrealistic to expect that to work.

Take the play at exactly 4 minutes against OKC. Mavs run a double drag screen for Luka. Grant Williams sets the 1st screen and Lively the 2nd. Hardy quickly passes the ball to Luka while Lively dives.

OKC HAS to double Luka coming off that double drag screen or else you're leaving him wide open at the top of the key. That leaves Lively wide open below. Giddey is forced to sink in to stop the dunk (and that doesn't really work anyways). But imagine if Klay is in the spot where Grant Williams was? Giddey literally cannot leave Klay wide open like that.

I'm very excited. Enjoy the PnR mastery and just imagine Klay in spots where DJJ+PJ are and imagine the effect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply