Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Boston Celtics (0-0)
(06-06-2024, 09:57 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: If I'm Kidd, I would really consider starting Lively next game and Maxi as the backup 5. Maybe get Gafford some spot minutes if possible, but winning is all the matters at this point.

Don’t know if they will do that, but I 1000% think they will consider it.

The problem is, are we even sure lively will catch up to this speed? This was the worst game he has played in a long time, and it is all about what makes Boston special, not that he just randomly didn’t play well. I believe in the kid, and I think he will figure some things out, but tonight, he really wasn’t any better than Gafford. They both looked terrible.
Like Reply
Lively can't play defense like Draymond. I don't know what he was thinking tonight. The refs won't let him body people 30 feet from the basket. He played like a rookie tonight and that's ok. He just needs to learn and bounce back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It will hopefully be a long series, so no need to panic yet. I would feel better if I had some sense that Kidd had a plan for all of this. The truly concerning thing is that Boston did not have to budge an inch from what they normally like to do, and they were able to take literally everything Dallas likes to do away from them.

Still, it’s only one game.

It’s pretty evident early on that Dallas has to play their best basketball to be competitive. Celtics can play average and win.

Jason Timpf called the WCF being over after game 1. Wouldn’t be surprised if he said the same after this one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:57 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Can't believe Luka only had 1 assist. Must be a career low.

That's another aspect. When people predicted that the Celtics would defend him 1v1 and switch everything that doesn't involve KP/Horford they weren't lying. They aren't helping off shooters. Aren't giving up the lob. Like the Clippers used to defend him. Just with even better individual defenders.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
No need to panic, just one game. Just need to adjust. Need to find a way to get some more assists on easy baskets. Luka played well. Need to hit shots and rebound better. Pretty simple
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Don’t know if they will do that, but I 1000% think they will consider it.

The problem is, are we even sure lively will catch up to this speed? This was the worst game he has played in a long time, and it is all about what makes Boston special, not that he just randomly didn’t play well. I believe in the kid, and I think he will figure some things out, but tonight, he really wasn’t any better than Gafford. They both looked terrible.

In all seriousness if I was the coach, I would play PJ and Maxi at the 5 the rest of the series and not worry about the hurt feelings. I just don't think anyone here is going to be on board with Lively sitting. I would probably try to get Lively in and see if he can hang, but he would be on a short leash and Gafford wouldn't step on the court again in this series if I was coaching. It's adapt and win or don't and lose time.
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:58 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: It´s basically Boston´s plan since day one. Doesn´t Luka have his highest career average against Boston?

I have no idea. I know Boston's game plan worked tonight.
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:55 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: You have to stop expecting anything out of Josh Green...they will definitely trade him this offseason. There's really not much he can do because all he will ever be here is an undersized wing like Jae Crowder who just stands in the corner and shoot threes. Every team needs players like that but not at $13 million dollars a season and that's why I'm sure they will look to trade him for some salary relief. He needs to go to a team where he can develop as a guard and that won't happen here.

No reason to slander Jae. Jae´s problem was that Carlisle never allowed to him be more than a corner 3pt shooter. Went to the G-League and immediately had like a 40 pt triple double as a rookie. Yeah yeah levels and sh*t, but Crowder was clearly so much more than just a corner 3pt shooter. That was a waste of his passing ability and physical strength.
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:59 PM)Smitty Wrote: It’s pretty evident early on that Dallas has to play their best basketball to be competitive. Celtics can play average and win.

Jason Timpf called the WCF being over after game 1. Wouldn’t be surprised if he said the same after this one.

He might just do that, but I’m not there yet. I want to see if Dallas has an answer for any of this in game 2. 

At times like this, it pays to have a coach like Carlisle instead of a coach like kidd. I know kid got them here, and I am hoping like heck he makes me eat that sentence on Sunday, but I am very confident that Carlisle would have an answer for everything that just happened. Hopefully kid will, too, but we just don’t know. The previous three series were won by the Mavericks imposing their will on the opponent, but it seems to me that this one is gonna take a little bit of trade craft.
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:43 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: We need one of Tim, Exum or Hardy to step up. Kidd needs to figure out which one it’s going to be FAST.
I actually think it Hardaway this series. He fits more of what we need. 

Need some nonstop PnR, not matchup hunting. Kick outs to Hardaway

Faster pace play is needed

Better hustle
Like Reply
Really don't get why so many Mavs especially DJJ tried to dunk the ball in traffic over KP or into double/triple coverage. Really can't waste possessions trying to dunk the ball like that. KP is an elite rim protector the Mavs should know that. KP was the difference maker, they made their run in the 3rd on Horford but huge issues in the paint against KP. Hopefully they got a better plan next game on offense.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • BigDirk41, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Hardaway aint it, please. Dude is still airballing. He's cooked. Let it go.
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 10:01 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: In all seriousness if I was the coach, I would play PJ and Maxi at the 5 the rest of the series and not worry about the hurt feelings. I just don't think anyone here is going to be on board with Lively sitting. I would probably try to get Lively in and see if he can hang, but he would be on a short leash and Gafford wouldn't step on the court again in this series if I was coaching. It's adapt and win or don't and lose time.

Man, I just don’t think they are built to play that way for 48 minutes, nor do I think they would be comfortable doing so at this point.

If lively can’t exist in this series, they shouldn’t even play the rest of the games.

But, you should remember this feeling when we get into those off-season threads.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Silly that people are saying to sit Lively and Gafford. We need to play our style.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nicholasthefan's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
If Boston continues to take away Dallas corner 3's and lob dunks, this will be a short series despite Luka and Kyrie.
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 09:59 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Lively can't play defense like Draymond. I don't know what he was thinking tonight. The refs won't let him body people 30 feet from the basket. He played like a rookie tonight and that's ok. He just needs to learn and bounce back.

Yeah that might be one of the only times he looked like a rookie.  Probably why so very few rookies play at this stage.  He is a quick learner.  I just didn’t understand him being so physical away.  He didn’t play like that all year.  This will be a tough series for him but he offers things that should make it tough for Boston too. On to the next game
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I called it a few days ago - Kyrie simply cannot get rattled by the fans like he did in the last regular season game against the Celtics. But he did.

I don't understand how this seasoned veteran, Joe Cool player can't keep his sphincter closed when fans in one particular season vent their spleens against him. This is a case where Kyrie has to learn from Luka. Don't get hurt or sad, get volcanically enraged and tear their hearts out.
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 10:07 PM)nicholasthefan Wrote: Silly that people are saying to sit Lively and Gafford. We need to play our style.

I tend to agree.  I thought OKc lost the series when they were the first tesm to blink.

I do think Gafford minutes should be limited some but the mavs got here being bullies.  The Celtics threes is a game changer though.  It may be how the series is contended.  Can the Celtics hit a lot of threes and can the Mavs bully the Celtics.  Tonight the Celtics hit their threes and were much more aggressive
Like Reply
(06-06-2024, 10:09 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: If Boston continues to take away Dallas corner 3's and lob dunks, this will be a short series despite Luka and Kyrie.

Yeah. We overcorrected our defensive and physical deficiencies in the last 12 months. Now we need to balance it all out by trading THJ + Green + Powell for one offensive player that can also create and then find a sharpshooter either through the draft or a minimum contract. Then I´d feel pretty confident going forward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • sterlingmallory
Like Reply
Celtics looked like the best team in the league that was tired hearing about their easy run to the finals. I am not really surprised they came out really strong tonight. I am disappointed with our lack of urgency. That can’t happen again.

I just want to get it to 2-2. Mavs need to play better though. Celtics high is better than the Mavs high. Need to play better. No need to discuss trading half the roster now.
Like Reply