Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
(04-30-2021, 04:07 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I see some good things when I watch Green.  He stays in front of his man very well.  He gets more than his share of contested rebounds.  He makes some really nice instinctive passes.  

+41 on the passes point. Green moves the ball extremely well imo. His defense is tenacious, though at times a bit wild. My only gripe with him so far is that he's almost non-existent as a scorer. Just seems to oscillate around the 3pt line cutting from corner to corner and when he gets it he quickly gives it up. When he does score its basically been through hustle plays or timely cuts. Reminds me a lot of DFS when he first started imo. 

If he can have an offseason and find 1 go-to move maybe we have something with Green. 

(04-30-2021, 04:07 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think it is a mistake to plan out an offseason and not include Green in the plans.  

For instance, we haven’t had any love for Fournier since the TDL.  He hits 3’s and can contribute as a secondary playmaker.  He has some defensive deficiencies, but can play SG or SF.  You might be able to cover those deficiencies with DFS (when Fournier is playing SG) and Green (when Fournier is the SF).  There should be enough money to snag both Fournier and Holmes.

Holmes/KP/DFS/Fournier/Luka

Powell/Maxi/Fournier/Green/Brunson

You probably need a vet backup 3, but that isn’t a terrible 9 man and improves some of the issues we’ve had this season with THJ and JRich.

I really like that offseason. Maybe there'd be enough to even squeeze Redick if he's still interested in coming back.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 10:07 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: And they will continue to be raw until they are developed...which includes play in real games.  Unfortunately the Mavs have a history of trading raw rookies for a bag of potato chips...

Wanted to say this is not true, convinced myself otherwise. They dumped Ledo, Hammons, Spalding, Roby and used Larkin, Anderson, Crowder, DSJ in trades.

They seem to not be as attached to rookies as we are, I'm not sure they should.

Still there is this: I can't think about a rookie we dumped breaking out elsewhere.
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 11:44 PM)Mapka Wrote: Wanted to say this is not true, convinced myself otherwise. They dumped Ledo, Hammons, Spalding, Roby and used Larkin, Anderson, Crowder, DSJ in trades.

Still there is this: I can't think about a rookie we dumped breaking out elsewhere.

I certainly wouldn't argue with anything you say.  I'm just saying that rookies, and other fairly new players, should have a legitimate chance at being developed...which includes play in real games.  I believe that some of these potential players--on Mavs and other teams--become so discouraged and frustrated that it affects their entire futures.  I don't think professional basketball teams should be baby sitters, but these are young men who have been reasonably successful all their lives until--they join an NBA team where they are DNP until traded, or dumped, for little to nothing.  A considerable shock to their young, fragile self images.  I actually think Roby will become a fairly good player.  And Crowder is so unhappy with the Mavs that he won't even consider coming back.  I don't blame him.  I guess I should add that I don't follow any other team except when they play the Mavs.

These are just my opinions.  We are all entitled to our own opinions.  However...I think it is good we can have thoughtful conversations about our opinions.  It's not as if anybody in the Mavs organization is going to read these...or be swayed by anything we say.  I'm just a Mavs fan for life--so far.
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 11:44 PM)Mapka Wrote: Wanted to say this is not true, convinced myself otherwise. They dumped Ledo, Hammons, Spalding, Roby and used Larkin, Anderson, Crowder, DSJ in trades.

That just means that our rookies are so poorly regarded that nobody gives them a chance after we dump them
Like Reply

Is this an indictment of how they feel about rookies or an indictment of their talent evaluation?

So, they gave a bunch of mid/late second rounders a try out and it didn’t pan out.  No Biggie.  What is the hit rate on picks in the range of where Ledo, Hammons, Spalding and Roby were taken?  

The rest are early seconds and mid-firsts with the exception of DSJ.  In each case, they moved on from them before the shine of potential was completely gone.  Larkin was part of getting Chandler, Crowder was part of getting Rondo/Powell, Anderson was part of getting Noel and DSJ was part of getting KP. Most of those guys didn’t last in the league that long and in the cases of Crowder and DSJ, the team we traded them to also “dumped” them by trading them to another team.  I’d call that “asset management”.  Others can call it what they want.  

I’m more concerned about the missed evaluations of Rondo and Noel and the players they might have drafted instead than I am the fact that they didn’t keep this particular group of guys.
Like Reply
(05-01-2021, 08:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Is this an indictment of how they feel about rookies or an indictment of their talent evaluation?

So, they gave a bunch of mid/late second rounders a try out and it didn’t pan out.  No Biggie.  What is the hit rate on picks in the range of where Ledo, Hammons, Spalding and Roby were taken?  

The rest are early seconds and mid-firsts with the exception of DSJ.  In each case, they moved on from them before the shine of potential was completely gone.  Larkin was part of getting Chandler, Crowder was part of getting Rondo/Powell, Anderson was part of getting Noel and DSJ was part of getting KP. Most of those guys didn’t last in the league that long and in the cases of Crowder and DSJ, the team we traded them to also “dumped” them by trading them to another team.  I’d call that “asset management”.  Others can call it what they want.  

I’m more concerned about the missed evaluations of Rondo and Noel and the players they might have drafted instead than I am the fact that they didn’t keep this particular group of guys.

I think this is a indictment how successfull they have been in the last twenty years minus two years of tanking. They were just to good to get good picks. (and unlucky in the lottery.)

Rondo lol. Noel is what you get for raw 19th pick or so. He had the talent but he is just an idiot.

Can´t believe what happend to DSJ -.-
Like Reply
Would have been interesting to see Green get some minutes against Beal or Westbrook. Josh has the quickness and strength to keep up.  Would have been a learning experience for him specially if his minutes come in the first half.

Can he do any worse than JRich on defense?
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 12:24 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Would have been interesting to see Green get some minutes against Beal or Westbrook. Josh has the quickness and strength to keep up.  Would have been a learning experience for him specially if his minutes come in the first half.

Can he do any worse than JRich on defense?

Honestly I think Green is next season's replacement for JRich
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 12:26 AM)MFFL Wrote: Honestly I think Green is next season's replacement for JRich

If he can just develop a little bit of an offensive game over the summer...
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 12:17 PM)embellisher Wrote: If he can just develop a little bit of an offensive game over the summer...

How much does Green need to improve on offense to replace JRich?
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 02:19 PM)MFFL Wrote: How much does Green need to improve on offense to replace JRich?

I think none. 

The Mavs have been running some plays for JR and it has been driving me crazy. It isn't needed and his efficiency is way lower than other players. I would rather Green be in and just spot up for threes and make opportunistic cuts.
Like Reply
(05-02-2021, 02:19 PM)MFFL Wrote: How much does Green need to improve on offense to replace JRich?
Not a lot, but being able to make at least 32% of his threes will get him close.
Like Reply

Tell me what we have around him and I can better estimate.  I don't know that he can "replace" JRich as JRich is a starter.  Can he take a defensive bench role as your 4th guard?  See the first sentence of this post.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/13...1469199364
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/13...3433585672
Like Reply
[Image: E0mAS0WXoAEMoN3?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 04:07 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I see some good things when I watch Green.  He stays in front of his man very well.  He gets more than his share of contested rebounds.  He makes some really nice instinctive passes.  

I think it is a mistake to plan out an offseason and not include Green in the plans.  

This pick will prove to be just fine. Whenever he gets real playing time, he does something fairly electric.  Loved his third steal that led directly to his third assist tonight.  Just need a little offensive competency.  

Two years from now he’ll be the age Michael Finley was as a rookie.  Finley posted per 36 of 13.8/4.2/3./1 which also happens to be about what Green averaged in his short stint in the G-League in 29 minutes.  Finley was never more than average at EFG% and TS% for his career.  I bring up Finley, because I can see Josh filling up a box score similarly.  He just has to get somewhere near league average at EFG% and TS%.  Josh will certainly get some open looks that Finley never got.  He has two off-seasons of work and a regular role next season to get those shooting percents up to something close to average for the comparison to hold true. I think he’s already there in several other areas of his game.
Like Reply
Green is going to be good...the potential is there. Before the draft I compared him to Gary Harris and that hasn't changed. I think he can be a really good 2-way player like Harris or a bigger Avery Bradley. Both of those players had poor stats in their rookie year due to limited minutes. They shot much better once they got consistent minutes after year 1.
Like Reply
I think his 3 point shot will come around.  Just a matter of getting in reps in the gym.  He is still just 20 years old with just .5 seasons of college basketball and no rookie league and very little training camp.  The good news is he can contribute in other ways as a passer and a cutter, and he's doesn't inefficiently attempt to make offense happen.

In contrast, it was interesting to see Spoelstra barely use Precious in 6 uneventful minutes.  Looking at the box scores, he has barely gotten off the bench in the last 4 games.
Like Reply
I think Green has some Dwight Powell in him.  When Powell joined the Mavs, it was easy to see that his older teammates liked him.   That may be simple, but it is important.   You can see when they do/did something good, the players generally seem happy for them.   

This year could have been more difficult as a young rookie joining the team and not helping much on the floor, but it is a great sign that some of the older veterans seem like the kid.

Green does his part by always playing hard, not doing something outside of his role, and by having very little ego when talking to the other players.  

Great signs.
Like Reply