Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil
(07-06-2024, 08:07 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think this is my favorite minute breakdown. For early in the season if this is our roster.  It allows some to make cases that they should receive minutes.  Mavs can start maxi slow to begin the season and slowly ramp his minutes for the right matchups.  I wonder if Mavs agree or if they are looking for a backcourt upgrade.

Do you think Grimes and or Marshall can help initiating offense at times?  This could also help with our current lineup if Luka or Kyrie is out.  Otherwise things get dicey quick.

This is the way I see it. They could see it very differently of course. By all the reports, I don’t think they’re high on Exum and/or Hardy. That means both could be out of the regular rotation and maybe Maxi is in the same role, backup 4.
Like Reply
I’m encouraged by the trust they had in Hardy in the playoffs. Seems like behind the scenes he was working on his p’n’r decision making and a lot of his playmaking/lob game was on point. Definitely something the coaching staff was drilling him on. We know he’s a gym rat who loves the game. With another good summer I don’t see why Hardy (and Exum) can’t be that guy. Hardy also improved defensively as the year went on, and was serviceable in the playoffs. Certainly no worse than THJ and better offensively.

A big component of this IS trust. That means Kidd and his staff have to allow Hardy, and Omax to a lesser extent, the failures and inevitable ups and downs. 

I’m not sure Klutch would let him take the Max Christie deal, but I don’t see how offering that could hurt us. If internally they are convinced he is their 6th man Jordan Clarkson type bucket getter off the bench.
[-] The following 3 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, RGP1981
Like Reply
I wish I could see what others see in Hardy. I’m an admitted homer and optimist so I tend to see the best traits in players and ignore some of the bad. I’ve just never once thought Hardy was an NBA rotation player. I’d love to be wrong and this year he has a chance to prove he belongs.
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 07:43 PM)Smitty Wrote: I wish I could see what others see in Hardy. I’m an admitted homer and optimist so I tend to see the best traits in players and ignore some of the bad. I’ve just never once thought Hardy was an NBA rotation player. I’d love to be wrong and this year he has a chance to prove he belongs.

He can beat his man off the dribble. Third best iso player on the team. And 4th best (PJ? THJ?) not even close to him. That’s his only + skill. But it’s arguably the most important one.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 08:46 PM)The Jom Wrote: He can beat his man off the dribble. Third best iso player on the team. And 4th best (PJ? THJ?) not even close to him. That’s his only + skill. But it’s arguably the most important one.

I didn’t know the iso stat but he’s pretty below average at everything else on the basketball court. Don’t get me wrong, all these guys are the best of the best so I hate being hyper critical. I guess I always thought of him finding a role as a 6th man but even then he shot 36.2% from 3 which is also below average. He’s young and can get better. Maybe the summer league showing when they tried to make him a PG and it went so badly just made me sour on him and cap any potential I thought he had. His per 36 numbers make me think he can be a Tim Hardaway Jr with big minutes but I don’t think Tim is a winning player, despite the PPG. Again, I’d love for him to prove me wrong and I think he’ll get a real shot to do so.
Like Reply
Mike Curtis (@MikeACurtis2)
The #Mavs make NBA history with the first six-team trade in NBA history, part of a sign-and-trade deal to acquire longtime #Warriors sharpshooter Klay Thompson.

Thompson will wear No. 31 for the Mavs, last worn by Jason Terry.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41
Like Reply
[Image: GR2XmfkbYAAZKoa?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
  • audiosway, BigDirk41
Like Reply
So I am guessing we are not getting Charlotte's own second round pick, right? Probably too good to be true. If not, nice job by Charlotte scooping up Green for two late seconds.
Like Reply
So Thompson is wearing #31. I believe Dallas has never won a championship when they didn't have a shooter wearing 31.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 09:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So I am guessing we are not getting Charlotte's own second round pick, right?  Probably too good to be true.  If not, nice job by Charlotte scooping up Green for two late seconds.

It hasn't been released yet, but CHA owned 2025 Philly's 2nd, their own 2025 2nd before the trade. After the trade they also had Denver's 2025 2nd.

So it could be any one of those 3.
Like Reply
I am not sure I have seen a second round pick swap before. Maybe it has happened. Can't get excited about pick swaps with second rounders.
Like Reply
I'm pretty sure the original trade parameters said the Mavs will get the better of the two picks from Charlottle. Just not sure if one of them was their own or not.
Like Reply
[Image: GR2XuYVWIAA1Ks5?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 09:09 PM)TSleepingHero Wrote: Mike Curtis (@MikeACurtis2)
The #Mavs make NBA history with the first six-team trade in NBA history, part of a sign-and-trade deal to acquire longtime #Warriors sharpshooter Klay Thompson.

Thompson will wear No. 31 for the Mavs, last worn by Jason Terry.

What number will Marshall wear, 8 ?
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 07:43 PM)Smitty Wrote: I wish I could see what others see in Hardy. I’m an admitted homer and optimist so I tend to see the best traits in players and ignore some of the bad. I’ve just never once thought Hardy was an NBA rotation player. I’d love to be wrong and this year he has a chance to prove he belongs.

Just think of him as a guy that can come in and get buckets off the dribble . I mentioned Jordan Clarkson before. Lou Williams. Jamal Crawford. All around his size, all defensively challenged. Clarkson only recently became a better playmaker. I don’t think Jaden has the crafty finishing ability of any of those guys, yet. But then those are three of the best recent bench gunners. It would be good if he could refine his mid range and floater game because he has that nice inside out dribble ala Chris Paul. Crawford was amazing at getting space and elevating in the lane for 5-10 footers. Just needs reps. I think he has a pretty nice stroke.
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 09:51 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What number will Marshall wear, 8 ?

Looks like he'll wear #13. At first I thought the numbers in those graphics were just random, but if Thompson really is #31, then Marshall's is probably correct, too.
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 09:51 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What number will Marshall wear, 8 ?

Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 08:57 PM)Smitty Wrote: I didn’t know the iso stat but he’s pretty below average at everything else on the basketball court. Don’t get me wrong, all these guys are the best of the best so I hate being hyper critical. I guess I always thought of him finding a role as a 6th man but even then he shot 36.2% from 3 which is also below average. He’s young and can get better. Maybe the summer league showing when they tried to make him a PG and it went so badly just made me sour on him and cap any potential I thought he had. His per 36 numbers make me think he can be a Tim Hardaway Jr with big minutes but I don’t think Tim is a winning player, despite the PPG. Again, I’d love for him to prove me wrong and I think he’ll get a real shot to do so.

You are giving me too much credit. I don’t know any iso stats. That’s 100% opinion. Should’ve stated it that way. Hope I didn’t mislead too much.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
I know it's silly but I really wanted Klay to wear #1.

Just thought it was more aesthetically pleasing.
  • KillerLeft, MAVS-SLO
Like Reply
(07-06-2024, 11:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I know it's silly but I really wanted Klay to wear #1.

Just thought it was more aesthetically pleasing.

I feel like its just right to have an all time great shooter wearing 31 with Dallas.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • Mapka
Like Reply