Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil
(07-03-2024, 10:22 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I'd like to suggest something related to the comments above about the "Luka-centric" offense and how DAL needs to diversify for continued growth and success.

I agree with the thrust of the comments. The new additions, coupled with the remaining core players, provides an opportunity for the coaching staff to implement new wrinkles to expand the offense so DAL doesn't get handled like BOS did. And getting Luka to buy in to these changes is key to their success.

I'm not saying his buy-in is an issue. The problem is he's going to have to experience the success rather than just accepting it intellectually. My point is that, for his entire NBA career, it has required his individual greatness to lift the team to where it is today. We have all seen the bricks launched after an amazing Luka pass gets a wide open shot. So far, his experience tells him that, if he doesn't get it done, odds are nobody else will. Kyrie helped a lot last year, but wasn't really dependable in the playoffs and (TBH) we spent the whole season holding our collective breath about Ky getting injured.

So my premise is that Luka can be the player described above. In fact, he needs to be that player, even if it's preserving himself for the long haul. But to internalize his new role, he's going to have to believe that the rest of the squad will hold up their end of the deal. So I think Kidd & Co. will evolve the team, but it's not going to happen on October 22nd and there may be some ugly games early in the season as everybody gets their roles figured out.

Absolutely!  Luka needs to see success from the rest of the team.  They have to carry their part of the load.  Luka's minutes will go down, his defense and off ball play will get better.  He may even be able to make the step to the next level of team synergy and leadership.  Right now he has to fight tooth and nail for everything he gets.  It's gotta get easier...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • HIMAV
Like Reply
(07-03-2024, 10:22 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I'd like to suggest something related to the comments above about the "Luka-centric" offense and how DAL needs to diversify for continued growth and success.

I agree with the thrust of the comments. The new additions, coupled with the remaining core players, provides an opportunity for the coaching staff to implement new wrinkles to expand the offense so DAL doesn't get handled like BOS did. And getting Luka to buy in to these changes is key to their success.

I'm not saying his buy-in is an issue. The problem is he's going to have to experience the success rather than just accepting it intellectually. My point is that, for his entire NBA career, it has required his individual greatness to lift the team to where it is today. We have all seen the bricks launched after an amazing Luka pass gets a wide open shot. So far, his experience tells him that, if he doesn't get it done, odds are nobody else will. Kyrie helped a lot last year, but wasn't really dependable in the playoffs and (TBH) we spent the whole season holding our collective breath about Ky getting injured.

So my premise is that Luka can be the player described above. In fact, he needs to be that player, even if it's preserving himself for the long haul. But to internalize his new role, he's going to have to believe that the rest of the squad will hold up their end of the deal. So I think Kidd & Co. will evolve the team, but it's not going to happen on October 22nd and there may be some ugly games early in the season as everybody gets their roles figured out.

I'm actually going to be very OK with Kidd experimenting with the lineup and schemes in the regular season (so long as they can get a top-4 seed). There are a lot of different combinations I am excited to see. Also, even if Klay isn't the athlete he once was, he can still knock down open 3's better than anyone Luka has ever played with.
Like Reply
I think it's time to ask the truly important question:

Who gets number 11? I assume Kyrie keeps it, but I don't like seeing those photoshops with Klay wearing #10. Having just seen what that did to Hardaway, I hope he chooses another number.
Like Reply
Interesting take here...

"Los Angeles reportedly offered Klay Thompson more money than the Mavericks, according to Ramona Shelburne and Kendra Andrews of ESPN. But Thompson was enamored with the Mavericks' playoff run. Additionally, he wanted a "fresh start" and felt that playing for the Lakers would be too similar to playing for the Warriors.

"The team ultimately was willing to offer Thompson more years and more money than he accepted from Dallas. Sources said [LeBron] James was willing to take less and the Lakers were trying to make trades that would've cleared four years and nearly $80 million for Thompson.

"James had several deep conversations with Thompson about the idea of playing together, sources said. But something about playing for the Lakers apparently felt too much like playing for the Warriors. As one source close to him put it, 'Would this be trading one fishbowl for another?'"

Interesting point. Make sense.

Dovetails into some recent posts about Dallas being more "family" relative to the spotlight of LA
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-03-2024, 01:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it's time to ask the truly important question:

Who gets number 11? I assume Kyrie keeps it, but I don't like seeing those photoshops with Klay wearing #10. Having just seen what that did to Hardaway, I hope he chooses another number.

I think Kyrie definitely keeps #11. I think Klay switches to #1 which is what he wore in college. 

When Klay was drafted, Dorrell Wright was donning #1 on the Warriors.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-03-2024, 03:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think Kyrie definitely keeps #11. I think Klay switches to #1 which is what he wore in college. 

When Klay was drafted, Dorrell Wright was donning #1 on the Warriors.

Would probably to have to pay Hardy a little something to give #1 up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jumangi's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Kyrie is our team leader. Kyrie wanted Klay and was a big part of this process to recruit him. As the leader of this team it’s Kyrie’s responsibility to make sure Klay is cool and the vibes are good. Whatever sacrifices he has to make. Coming off the bench or convincing Klay to come off the bench if necessary. This is on Kyrie

I’m choosing to believe in Kyrie. He wants to win and will do everything in his power to get us there. If Klay gets to a point that he thinks he’s bigger than the team and it causes problems Kyrie can’t fix………..i trust that Kyrie will go to Nico and let him know Klay needs to be Grant Williams’d.

This was a low risk move so i get it. Might as well gamble even though my initial reaction is it won’t work. I feel better knowing we can pivot at any point in time and Nico isn’t afraid to cut his losses

The best part is if it doesn’t work, then Kyrie has nobody to blame but himself and there’s less of a chance he would be disgruntled. Team dynamics is a game of chess
Like Reply
We added a lot more than just Klay. Naji and Grimes look like they can be exellent options as starters playing here as well. We have internal improvement to add to this as well. Everyone who is still on this team will be a lot better for having experienced last seasons ups and downs in the play offs. Klay has been top dog on a champion he will become a leader and help everyone to achieve much more. Luka is going to grow in the process as he reaches another level as well. This team is so special now it is unbelievable. Hardy Exum at the 1 and 2 will back up the dynamic duo but they will get to play more during the regular season so that our stars can stay healthier to peak at the playoffs. I look forward to seeing Lively as the one who improves the most.
[-] The following 3 users Like myconsumerclub's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-03-2024, 06:15 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Kyrie is our team leader. Kyrie wanted Klay and was a big part of this process to recruit him. As the leader of this team it’s Kyrie’s responsibility to make sure Klay is cool and the vibes are good. Whatever sacrifices he has to make. Coming off the bench or convincing Klay to come off the bench if necessary. This is on Kyrie

I’m choosing to believe in Kyrie. He wants to win and will do everything in his power to get us there. If Klay gets to a point that he thinks he’s bigger than the team and it causes problems Kyrie can’t fix………..i trust that Kyrie will go to Nico and let him know Klay needs to be Grant Williams’d.

This was a low risk move so i get it. Might as well gamble even though my initial reaction is it won’t work. I feel better knowing we can pivot at any point in time and Nico isn’t afraid to cut his losses

The best part is if it doesn’t work, then Kyrie has nobody to blame but himself and there’s less of a chance he would be disgruntled. Team dynamics is a game of chess

While Kyrie has been great as a Mav, you've overstated his role.  He's not LeKai.  
Like Reply
Just saw this, and I'm really wondering how exaggerated the Klay is washed talk is. Like I definitely know it's exaggerated, but watching this just makes me think if playing on a below avg team and people just expecting you to be the dominant player you used to be is causing people to drastically down play just how good he actually still is. Like people everywhere are putting him in the same category as a defensive liability as Luka and Kyrie, and how huge a hit it is to the perimeter defense. I really want to see Klay eventually move to the 4.

[-] The following 4 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 07:15 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Just saw this, and I'm really wondering how exaggerated the Klay is washed talk is. Like I definitely know it's exaggerated, but watching this just makes me think if playing on a below avg team and people just expecting you to be the dominant player you used to be is causing people to drastically down play just how good he actually still is. Like people everywhere are putting him in the same category as a defensive liability as Luka and Kyrie, and how huge a hit it is to the perimeter defense. I really want to see Klay eventually move to the 4.

Yeah that´s all cute with Klay´s gravitation, but do we actually have a PG and rim-rolling centers that can execute the roll and dunk?

[Image: a0ea3376125b87dcc18d4feccabe20cd.gif]
Like Reply
I have watched a lot of highlight videos of the three newest Mavs. They look great. I will wait until I see them all on the floor for the Mavs for a few mo ya before we know how well they fit. One thing that was apparent is how many big shots Klay hit. I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise that Klay, Steph and KD hit big shots to win championships. I was surprised to remember that those Golden State teams were down twice 3-2 on the roads in the playoffs. In both games, Klay hit huge shots.

My favorite play last year was either a rim run dunk or the fast break pull up Kyrie three. The Pull up Klay three on the break may be up there. If our crowd is as loud as they were this year, it is going to be a fun time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 09:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have watched a lot of highlight videos of the three newest Mavs.  They look great.  I will wait until I see them all on the floor for the Mavs for a few mo ya before we know how well they fit.  

For sure. I watched the "welcome to Charlotte" highlight video of Josh Green the other day and it was an effective cautionary experience about those videos. There were moments I remembered how much the Mavs are losing in terms of his speed in transition, energy, etc, but there were also pull-up jumpers from mid-range and other things that seemed chosen specifically to paint an inaccurate picture of the Josh Green experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
@KevinGraySports
“Dallas was his [Klay Thompson] top choice. He loved the way the Mavericks played and believed he'd be an ideal fit alongside Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving, sources said. He came into a dinner meeting with the Mavericks' front office having studied tape of the team and already projecting out how he could help them.” #MFFL

This is crazy to me. He came to dinner having already studied tape on the team. AND he took a paycut compared to what the Lakers were offering.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 6 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 02:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @KevinGraySports
“Dallas was his [Klay Thompson] top choice. He loved the way the Mavericks played and believed he'd be an ideal fit alongside Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving, sources said. He came into a dinner meeting with the Mavericks' front office having studied tape of the team and already projecting out how he could help them.” #MFFL

This is crazy to me. He came to dinner having already studied tape on the team. AND he took a paycut compared to what the Lakers were offering.

It's refreshing to have a player of his caliber want to come here instead of joining for the most money.
[-] The following 4 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • Jmaciscool, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 07:15 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Just saw this, and I'm really wondering how exaggerated the Klay is washed talk is. Like I definitely know it's exaggerated, but watching this just makes me think if playing on a below avg team and people just expecting you to be the dominant player you used to be is causing people to drastically down play just how good he actually still is. Like people everywhere are putting him in the same category as a defensive liability as Luka and Kyrie, and how huge a hit it is to the perimeter defense. I really want to see Klay eventually move to the 4.

The decline of Klay is vastly exaggerated. He hasn't declined that much. I live in the Bay area and watch GS. Klay was an elite defender in his prime. On a scale of 0-100 he was about a 95. At this point Klay is about an 80. While not being a lock down defender anymore he's not some scrub. I would consider DJJ around an 85-87.

Klay on a shooting level is still as good as he ever was. For all of the people saying he is washed up...You do realize his season high last season was 35 right? He was miserable from the start of the season to the end. He didn't want to be there. He averaged 18 ppg on 39% shooting. Do you guys realize how ridiculous that is? That's better than at least 90% of the NBA. 

I expect that this year we will see Klay shooting around 42-43% from 3 taking around 10 - 12 shots per game from there. He will likely average around 20 ppg. He is more motivated than he has been in years. He wants to show people he is not washed up. He is a competitor like Luka.

Klay is 34. We won a title with Jason Kidd starting at age 38. Dirk was 33, JET was 33, etc. The pundits are going to be surprised next year at how much Klay has left in the tank. He was exactly what the Mavs were missing. Never underestimate the heart of a champion. Especially, a 4 time champion. The Mavs are winning the finals next year provided they stay healthy.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 7 users Like audiosway's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, Jmaciscool, SleepingHero, Smitty, The Jom, Winter
Like Reply
Huh?

https://x.com/keithsmithnba/status/18089...46507?s=46
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 05:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Huh? 

Pretty sure that’s common knowledge. Green was the salary match for a Klay trade.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 05:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Huh? 

He's way behind the curve.

Klay SNT to Dallas was the FIRST trade that is being added to, not one coming later.

And the THJ trade (or the THJ TPE) has nothing to do with the Klay SNT.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • audiosway, SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://x.com/dallasmavs/status/1809225882080260352

[Image: GRupVbqWUAA4tQT?format=jpg&name=large]

Interesting the official Mavs twitter account is tweeting Hardy's player picture as #3 instead of his current #1.

[Image: float-the-twilight-zone.gif]
Like Reply