Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Olympics and FIBA summer
Kind of rotten scheduling for Slovenia. They play the last game in the prelims and get very little rest because they have the first game in the quarterfinals tomorrow
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 09:40 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Kind of rotten scheduling for Slovenia. They play the last game in the prelims and get very little rest because they have the first game in the quarterfinals tomorrow

Slovenia will be fine.  The Olympics are not like the NBA Playoffs, where a team must win sixteen games to achieve the objective.

And Germany is a decent match-up for Luka and his teammates.
Like Reply
SLO for GOLD! 

USA for silver  Shy
Like Reply
Honestly...this game was depressing. A team that only spends a few weeks together each year was able to solve the Luka trap/double issue within a couple of minutes. Flawless execution and great ball movement. Creating open shots every single time. It should have been a blowout but they missed a lot of open looks.

Makes it even more obvious that the Mavs roster from last season wasn´t good enough. The Mavs need big upgrades. Wouldn´t be suprised if Luka has similar thoughts. Cancar, Dragic II, Prepelic and Tobey vs THJ, DFS, Maxi and KP. This shouldn´t be a question. But I would argue that at least under FIBA rules team Slovenia would easily beat the Mavs.
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 12:50 PM)fifteenth Wrote: SLO for GOLD! 

USA for silver  Shy

I don't think they'll win the gold, but it does feel like they have a great chance to medal, doesn't it?

Considering that Slovenian basketball enthusiast @"omahen" used to hope Luka wouldn't play this summer because he was fairly convinced the team couldn't qualify for the Olympics, I'd say this is a significant accomplishment. I totally trust his info on the situation, so to me, this is Luka playing out of his mind and elevating the team pretty much by himself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 12:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Honestly...this game was depressing. A team that only spends a few weeks together each year was able to solve the Luka trap/double issue within a couple of minutes. Flawless execution and great ball movement. Creating open shots every single time. It should have been a blowout but they missed a lot of open looks.

Makes it even more obvious that the Mavs roster from last season wasn´t good enough. The Mavs need big upgrades. Wouldn´t be suprised if Luka has similar thoughts. Cancar, Dragic II, Prepelic and Tobey vs THJ, DFS, Maxi and KP. This shouldn´t be a question. But I would argue that at least under FIBA rules team Slovenia would easily beat the Mavs.

Do you think coaching was any part of the problem as well?
Like Reply
https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-...et-men.htm
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 12:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Considering that Slovenian basketball enthusiast @omahen used to hope Luka wouldn't play this summer because he was fairly convinced the team couldn't qualify for the Olympics, I'd say this is a significant accomplishment. I totally trust his info on the situation, so to me, this is Luka playing out of his mind and elevating the team pretty much by himself.

I still sort of can't believe what Luka means for this team. Without him they were losing against some of the worst teams in Europe, now they look like a very legit medal contender. Spain is likely top 5 team in the olympics and guys beat them. As Dirkfan said, the win would be way higher, if guys had a better shooting night. 

I was also surprised how well non Luka guys executed 4 on 3 offense that was given to them all night by Spain doubling Luka. Sure NBA level defenders are better and would be quicker in switches, but they looked really comfortable. I am not sure DFS and Maxi would be able to put it on the floor like that. 

I think Germany is at best at the level of Argentina and Japan, so I don't expect problems. France in semi finals is not ideal. I was hoping for Australia, but I guess it is still better than USA.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Hogmelon, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 12:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Do you think coaching was any part of the problem as well?

Biggest problem was the lack of talent and fit. Tobey looks incredible. Why? Because he can execute 2-3 basic plays. Set a screen, roll or pop (not just one of both), find the open shooter when Luka draws the double. KP can pop and shoot from the perimeter. Powell can roll and find the open shooter. WCS and Boban can roll. All of them lack at least one crucial skill.

Initially coaching wasn´t the problem but I think in the end the constant experiments with lineups made it worse.Trying to make up for the lack of talent with gimmick lineups worked for a couple of quarters but in the longrun it created even more problems. Things like THJ starting instead of Richardson (good decision but to late). Boban in the starting five. I guess COVID and injuries played a role as well but the on court chemistry was a problem all season long.
The Mavs tried to run a Luka centric offense without the necessary pieces to do it. Slovenia is doing the same with a better fitting supporting cast.
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 12:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't think they'll win the gold, but it does feel like they have a great chance to medal, doesn't it?

Considering that Slovenian basketball enthusiast @"omahen" used to hope Luka wouldn't play this summer because he was fairly convinced the team couldn't qualify for the Olympics, I'd say this is a significant accomplishment. I totally trust his info on the situation, so to me, this is Luka playing out of his mind and elevating the team pretty much by himself.

1. The team that goes WIN-WIN-WIN gets the gold.  The team that goes WIN-WIN-LOSE gets the silver.  The team that goes WIN-LOSE-WIN gets the bronze.

I like Slovenia's chances against Germany.  Then ... France or Italy ....

2.  You had to watch the game (Slovenia vs. Spain) this morning to understand "the Luka effect" (i.e., the box score fails to tell the tale).  With Luka's teammates combining for 83 points in forty minutes while shooting only  41.9/31.6/77.8 [and going out of their way to deny Luka his tenth assist (to complete a triple-double)], Spain's strategy of smothering Luka was ultimately a failure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hogmelon's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 01:33 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: Spain's strategy of smothering Luka was ultimately a failure.

Agree. I think it would be better to try to stop non Luka guys and let Luka gets his. Limitations of the rest would show if they would face a decent defender
Like Reply
Well, one thing I think I see coming is that if/when Slovenia plays USA we're going to see the Americans at their absolute highest level of motivation. I'm sure there's a fair amount of resentment about all the hype this kid has been getting over the past few seasons, and I bet they'll do everything they can to teach him a lesson. Remember Jordan, Pippen and Kukoc? 

Whether it'll make a difference, I don't know.
  • Hogmelon
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 01:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, one thing I think I see coming is that if/when Slovenia plays USA we're going to see the Americans at their absolute highest level of motivation. I'm sure there's a fair amount of resentment about all the hype this kid has been getting over the past few seasons, and I bet they'll do everything they can to teach him a lesson. Remember Jordan, Pippen and Kukoc? 

Whether it'll make a difference, I don't know.

I agree, but ...

I believe the type of resentment (and, perhaps, petty jealousy) that you are describing has already reared its ugly head during the course of the two most recent NBA seasons (including, especially, the playoffs) even more than it will during the Olympic Games.
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 01:53 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: I believe the type of resentment (and, perhaps, petty jealousy) that you are describing has already reared its ugly head during the course of the two most recent NBA seasons (including, especially, the playoffs) even more than it will during the Olympic Games.

Maybe, but what I'm talking about is team USA's effort relative to their other Olympic games.
  • Hogmelon
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 01:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Biggest problem was the lack of talent and fit. Tobey looks incredible. Why? Because he can execute 2-3 basic plays. Set a screen, roll or pop (not just one of both), find the open shooter when Luka draws the double. KP can pop and shoot from the perimeter. Powell can roll and find the open shooter. WCS and Boban can roll. All of them lack at least one crucial skill.

Initially coaching wasn´t the problem but I think in the end the constant experiments with lineups made it worse.Trying to make up for the lack of talent with gimmick lineups worked for a couple of quarters but in the longrun it created even more problems. Things like THJ starting instead of Richardson (good decision but to late). Boban in the starting five. I guess COVID and injuries played a role as well but the on court chemistry was a problem all season long.
The Mavs tried to run a Luka centric offense without the necessary pieces to do it. Slovenia is doing the same with a better fitting supporting cast.

SLO hasn't had to play the Clippers
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I know Luka has a lot to do with Slovenia 's success, and he definitely made Tobey looked very good. But, to Tobey' s own credit, he is really playing good with Slovenia. He rebounds, plays tough, hits wide open jumpers, dunks the ball hard. He curently leads in rebounds in the Olympics. He is a big body who can bang inside. The Mavs do not have that right now. Tobey has a collection of skills and physical attributes that none of the current Mavs have - A 7 footer with heft, who can roll to the basket, shoot open jumpers (mid-range and 3s), rebounds well, can defend big centers.

He may not be a starting-caliber NBA center, but I think he will play with Doncic even in the NBA. They have chemistry, and his skills fits with Luka's and he plays very hard. I would be happy if the Mavs take a flier on him.
Like Reply
(08-01-2021, 07:21 PM)fifteenth Wrote: SLO hasn't had to play the Clippers

Based on the individual talent the gap between Spain and Slovenia should be even bigger than the gap between the Clippers and the Mavs (basically a full NBA/top euroleague roster). But it wasn´t because Slovenia had way better on court chemistry. In their current system every single guy is getting maximized. Doesn´t mean that the Mavs should sign the entire slovenian national team. Take the archetypes as a blueprint and find NBA talent with similar skills.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Germany-Slovenia. Tip off.
Like Reply
Zoran beasting.
Like Reply
Zoran Dragic needs some help. This Luka guy doesn´t look good. Wouldn´t sign him. Just looked he already is in the NBA. Thankfully on an expiring contract. Probably his last contract in the NBA. Lacks athleticism and cannot shoot.
Like Reply