Poll: Regarding J-Rich/THJ this offseason which scenario do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Letting both walk regardless of their demands
46.15%
12 46.15%
Keeping both of them for reasonable prices (J-Rich either opted in or for <10 mio and THJ for about 12 mio per year)
23.08%
6 23.08%
Letting J-Rich walk, keeping THJ´s big caphold on the books and sign him for about 12 mio (quite massively hindering our flexibility with FA)
19.23%
5 19.23%
Letting THJ walk, keeping J-Rich´s caphold on the books and sign him for about 8 mio.
11.54%
3 11.54%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offseason wings: What to do with THJ and J-Rich?
I thought this question is so huge, that it deserves it´s own thread. Also I feel like the discussion around it has evolved in a few different threads. Furthermore I wanted to add a poll.

So here are the facts:

Current salary for 2020/21:

J-Rich - 10.865 mio - he has a player option for next year at 11.615 mio 
THJ - 18.975 mio - he is a UFA

Cap-hold: 
J-Rich (if opted out) - 16.5 mio 
THJ - 28,5 mio (crazy!) 

1st scenario: J-Rich opts in

Given his poor play, I have become more and more hesitant, if J-Rich will in fact opt out. I still think him opting out is more likely, as there isn´t really a  good FA market and a few franchises with cap room. It certainly isn´t the worst market to be a FA. 
Still, let´s assume he opts in. That would mean his 11.615 mio would become guaranteed (I don´t want to discuss, what that means for Mavs FA ambitions in this thread.) If you keep THJ, then the offseason is basically over. So I assume J-Rich basically will decide, what we´ll do with THJ´s caphold, as I can´t see us holding THJ on the books, if J-Rich opts in.

2nd scenario: J-Rich opts out

This is, where it gets really interesting. I could see arguments for any strategy here except keeping both capholds on the book. I think in this case it comes down to either renouncing both or renouncing one of them. This leads us to the crucial question: What do we pay THJ or J-Rich?

In my eyes, there are only these realistic outcomes: 

- J-Rich opts in and we let Timmy go.

- J-Rich opts out and we renounce Timmy: Given J-Rich would be interested in staying, I wouldn´t pay him more than 8 mio per year. He´s shown 
nothing this year that suggests he deserves a double digit contract.

- J-Rich opts out and we keep Timmy on the books: Given THJ would be interested in staying, I would offer THJ 12 mio per year. His defensive limitations are real and as much as I enjoy him as a offensive spark plug, with Luka and KP the margin for error on the defensive end is just too small to pay him a bigger portion of our cap.

- Both opt out and we just let them walk.

What do you think about these outcomes? Do you actually see us keeping THJ on the books, if J-Rich opts in?

Edit: Of course there is the possibility of renouncing the cap holds AND still resigning players. But this seems not very likely, as you can´t go over the cap in this case.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Offseason wings: What to do with THJ and J-Rich? - by Thukydides - 04-29-2021, 06:42 AM