Poll: What's your opinion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A+
38.78%
19 38.78%
A-
44.90%
22 44.90%
B
16.33%
8 16.33%
C
0%
0 0%
I miss Curry
0%
0 0%
I hate the MBT
0%
0 0%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rate the Mavs draft night
B-
I know you will see me harsh on MBT but I will explain my parameters. 

A-When I judge a draft pick, I judge it based on my opinion on the player before we select him, not after. Obviously until we see him play NBA games. 

This is because NBA fans always talk themselves into believing in the pick, that their team must know something they don't, that there is a plan. And the truth both are correct for each pick that was ever made, but there is still bad picks. 
I've seen Memphis fans talking themselves into believing in Thabeet, Kings fans thinking that Vlad must know something if he is passing on Luka, and most recently Mavs fans trying to talk themselves into reasons MBT passed on BolBol for Roby

It is just a psychological trick that I try to avoid. No disrespect to anyone here. 

B-I put minimal value on the trade, since it could have been made anytime and not necessarily the draft, I put most of the judgement on who we select tbh. 

18th pick takes more value than the other two, for obvious reasons. 

C-This is my opinion, but I also take the opinion of smart folks in this board and around the media into accounts. 

So, about our picks 

Josh Green with the 18th pick: C-

I simply didn't like green for the Mavs one bit, and as someone said it seemed that no one here was arguing for him before the draft. He is a wing with no ball handling ability which limits his upside. 
He has a 3 & D potential, but he needs work on both ends of the floor. The problem with 1st round picks that sometimes , due to hype and contract, teams aren't so patient with them as 2nd round or undrafted player for example, as teams might take it slowly with them.
 Green will have to make some sort of impact before 2022 to maintain a roster spot IMHO. 
The sample size of his shooting isn't big, but it gives us hope. 

I would have prefered S.Bey, or taking Bey and take Kennard from the Pistons, though the later has only one year left in his deal. 

Tyrell Terry with 31 pick: A
Big fan of Terry, before the draft. I think he is one of those players you can see their role from day one as a shooters who will develop nicely while doing so. My comparison for him is a Seth Curry himself, but with a career head start 
He has the shooting, worth ethic and game to stay as contributor in this league for long time. 

Tyler Bey with 36th pick: C+
I said it before the draft, I am not his biggest fan, like at all. He gives me Wesley Johnson vibes. 
But many here, whom I respect their opinion, do really like him. 
There weren't many options left, no Bol Bol waiting to be grabbed this year, no senior that has a good floor that we can hope to get etc. So it goes from E to C+ for me. 

Freddie Gillespie & Nate Hinton with our 3rd round picks, aka ,immediately signed undrafted players: B 

Both feels like a solid get for undrafted guy, not 23-24 players who for 2-way spot. 

The Curry-Richardson trade: B+
Sixers fan on the internet wanted it to happen, Mavs fans on the internet wanted it to happen. It was just written in the sky  Big Grin

It was a logical for both sides, just too logical not to happen, losing Curry sucks but we needed something for defense, and we needed to pay something to get it. Not a highway robbery or anything so no A for it. It is a win-win trade that should get B
But, they get extra points for 2 things
-Forcing Sixers to give us something for it, 36th pick isn't that valuable but it is still something. 
-The timing, I think the clearly waited until they get the shooter they want from the draft, as the draft had many good shooters, they probably agreed on the trade once Bane and Terry weren't selected by 29th pick.  

The approach of the night: A
I don't like green, but there are things I like from those picks.
The Mavs has a grasp of the reality and where they are. They know they aren't contenders, they know they aren't one piece away yet. They know they need youth and they need to grow organically. 
One of my worst nightmares was thinking the Mavs are just trying to win as quickly as they can without realizing it is a process that need patience, without aiming to get players who are younger than Luka who can be his teammates for next 8+ years. 

The Mavs approached the night the way I wanted. 
They tried their best to get a potential All-Star in Haliburton (I feel bad for him btw, might never reach his potential there) and when failed stayed on their coarse and get the player they believed is best available player.  
They valued defense and shooting, they came from the night with 5 rookies who will take 5 of 17 roster spots. 
They handled the trade well. 

PS: I am not the type who is too generous with his grades, A need to be for exceptional night. This one was good but not exceptional
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Rate the Mavs draft night - by ClutchDirk - 11-18-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by omahen - 11-18-2020, 11:42 PM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by Mavs2019 - 11-18-2020, 11:42 PM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by Kammrath - 11-18-2020, 11:43 PM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by ClutchDirk - 11-18-2020, 11:46 PM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by Fuerza1 - 11-18-2020, 11:50 PM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by cow - 11-19-2020, 12:05 AM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by Scott41theMavs - 11-19-2020, 12:08 AM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by Kammrath - 11-19-2020, 12:13 AM
RE: Rate the Mavs draft night - by KillerLeft - 11-19-2020, 12:29 AM