Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
Mavs Strut Their Stuff in Dropped Opener
Porzingis Ejected in Third Quarter; Luka Sets Record in Playoff Debut

The Mavericks gave the Clips a run for their money in a dramatic and unusual contest. Although the young team showed their inexperience in a number of ways, they demonstrated that they are a team that is capable of giving the Clippers all that they can handle. 

Game Story

Carlisle substituted Maxi for Seth in the starting lineup, in order to counter LA’s big first unit. I thought it was a good decision. 

First Quarter

The Mavs got off to an absolutely horrible start, committing six turnovers within the first three minutes. They were down 0-10 at 10:12, and 2-18 at 8:30. To make matters worse, Luka limped off the court at 7:17, clutching his ankle and grimacing. A heart-stopping moment for Mavs fans. 

Seth came in for Luka, and Dallas’ flame-throwing offense had the game tied at 22-all by the time Luka returned at 3:54. The Mavericks closed the quarter at 38-34 on the back of some rim protection by Bobi and a couple of threes from (drum roll) Michael Kidd-Gilchrist!

Second Quarter

Luka’s bench unit built up a lead in the first few minutes, and by 7:30, our men had accumulated a game-high 14-point margin. At 6:02, KP was called for a foul that he disagreed with, and was assessed a technical for an air punch. Paul George took the opportunity to hit three free throws. 

Due to a combination of turnovers and missed shots, the lead dwindled away, and the game was locked at 57 apiece at 2:50. Dallas clung to a 69-66 edge at the interval. 

Third Quarter

The third period was the Mavs’ undoing. At 9:10, they were up by five, when Marcus Morris gave Luka a yank in an agitating move. Some of the players from both teams gathered. KP walked over, and he and Morris got into a bit of a shoving match (more like slight pushes). The refs reviewed the altercation and assessed double technicals. That was Kristaps’ second T, and he was ejected. 

The air was sucked out of the arena, and the energy level dropped. The Mavericks seemed rattled, and when the buzzer finally sounded, the Clippers had gone on a 22-12 run, and our boys trailed 82-87, having scored only 13 points in the period. 

Fourth Quarter

The team recovered their composure in the fourth, and the Mavs tied the game at 9:44, thanks in part to 4 rebounds, a put-back layup, and an assist of a THJ three from Boban. Dallas stayed within 5 until the last three minutes, when the Clips managed to pull away.

Analytics

Statistically speaking, the game was lost on possessions. The Clips put up a whopping 14 more shots than the Mavs, which proved to be a killer. The men in blue had a very uncharacteristic 21 turnovers, which resulted in 22 LA points. In addition, they gave up 11 offensive rebounds and 14 second-chance points. The Clippers dominated the Mavs in the paint. Our team was -20 on points from twos, +6 on points from threes, and +6 on made free throws. 

In the first half, the Mavs shot 57% from beyond the arc, but by the end of the game, they were only a decent 35% from deep, barely edging the Clips at 34%. For the Mavs to have a chance, those shots have to fall. 

Players

Luka (38 min) — Luka was brilliant, especially considering it was his first NBA playoff game. He set a record for most points in a playoff debut in NBA history (42). His line reflected 14-15 FTAs, 7 boards, 9 dimes, and three steals. These stats, showy as they are, don’t begin to reflect the experience of watching him. 

Patrick Beverley absolutely cannot guard Luka — Doncic is too big, too strong, and too determined. Beverley ended the game with 5 fouls, and had to let Luka go when he sliced through the paint. Kawhi and Paul George both had 3 fouls by halftime, and had to spend the end of the second quarter on the bench. The Clippers’ only hope is to swarm him, and he is very effective at finding the open man when that happens. Doc Rivers said he knows Luka is going to score, but LA wants to limit his assists. We’ll see what they can do in the subsequent games. 

Luka’s own assessment of his performance?  “Terrible. I have to be way better.” The young star was ruing his 11 turnovers. Yes, that’s something he can work on, but considering everything, he was dazzling. 

KP (19 min) —Porzingis is a guy the Clippers have no answer for. His height and skills make him a nightmare for their big men to try to cover. He can shoot over their smalls, and is too agile for their bigs. He drew plenty of fouls, and was 7 of 8 from the line. His rebounding was missed when he left the game. 

KP’s ejection was the turning point of the game. There was disagreement across the Internet with the refs’ decision to give him the second tech, including from Dirk, LeBron, and Kevin Love. Even Doc said that he “hated to see it.” Maybe the refs were too harsh — it’s certainly arguable. I know I was pretty horrified. However, having said that —

I know this will not be a popular take, but both of Porzee’s technicals were boneheaded “rookie-like” mistakes, and he has to be better at reining in his emotions, or at least expressing them differently. 

On the first T, an air punch is an automatic foul — it’s not an area of discretion, and the players have to avoid doing it. The officials had called one on Paul George earlier. I loved Zach Lowe’s advice — KP has to learn not to punch the air, but instead to flail his arms and shout in disbelief, lol. 

The shove earning Zinger the second T,  in “protection” of Luka, also cannot happen. Morris’ attempt to antagonize Luka was pretty much a bunch of nothing. Luka was handling it in a grown-man fashion, and was not in need of someone to come to his rescue. If an “enforcer” was required to deliver retaliation, it certainly should not have been KP, who is badly needed on the court. That’s what the Brian Cardinals of the world are for. For Zinger to even join the scrum when he was already carrying a T was a mistake, given that he is a superstar and his participation is so essential to the team. 

KP spoke after the game, and said he had learned from the errors. He seemed more remorseful about the first tech, saying he didn’t necessarily agree with the “air punch” rule, but has to respect the fact that it exists. On the second T, Morris’ harassment of Luka “wasn’t sitting well with him,” but he said he didn’t think about the fact that he already had a T when he joined the “scuffle.” He thought Morris had played him, and said it was the smart thing for Morris to do. Observed that it had been a learning experience, and said that he will never make those mistakes again. Good enough, then. Live and learn!

Others — Tim Hardaway was the second-highest scorer, chipping in 18 points and grabbing 6 rebounds. Seth regained his shooting touch, hitting 4-8 from long range and scoring 14 points off the bench. Tim and Seth got a little thirsty at the end of the game, but overall, we needed their scoring punch, and they stepped up in that department. The rest of the cast supported the stars, each in his own way. 

Rick’s Secret Weapons

Rick has been hiding a few surprises in his bag of tricks, and I imagine we will see them brought out as the series goes on. He sprung a couple of them in this match. 

The team can play defense! The Clips are a very tough team to defend in general, and especially for the Mavs, who don’t match up well on paper with their superstar big wings. But the Mavs looked engaged on that end of the court and each player contributed as best he could. Much more effective than I expected. 

MKG can shoot threes! Kidd-Gilchrist was 2-3 on three-pointers, shocking the entire arena!  His form looked much improved, and his defense was strong. I wasn’t sure whether he would even play in the series, but he looks like he can help the team. Who knew?

Observations

Basically, I thought the KP ejection ruined an otherwise terrific game, and was very disappointing. 

However, in the bigger picture, I think there are many positives we can take from this contest, despite the loss. The team went toe-to-toe with the mighty Clippers until almost the end, despite the loss of one of their superstars. For Luka, the sky is the ceiling, and he has it in him to meet the biggest of moments. He was the best player on the floor, imho. KP frustrated the Clips, and I don’t think he will allow himself to be baited again. 

There were a number of mistakes, which is to be expected from teams with little experience in the playoffs, but the team also exhibited a gritty and resilient disposition. The future looks bright for this franchise!

Next. Game Two, on Wednesday. 
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118 - by mavsluvr - 08-18-2020, 01:54 AM