Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used
(09-17-2020, 09:32 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: In other words there are specific situations where it can be very advantageous having a guy on the floor that is very, very difficult for the defense to stop 1 on 1 even if its for 2 points and free throws.

I don´t think anyone disagrees with this take. But isn´t that exactly what RC is doing? It´s not like Boban is in a Reeves or Cleveland role. He played in every single playoff game and adjusted for the shortened season played the 2nd most games and minutes of his career.

(09-17-2020, 09:32 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Your Zubac arguments are at least reasonable but not as strong as you seem to think.  For one thing, you missed all the details of my argument.  When Boban is in the game, he should have his offense leveraged against the opposing big man.  Rick Carlisle's offense completely fails to do this for a player like Boban.  Burke, or Seth, THJ, even KP, those guys have games that Coach's offense can allow to shine, IF they are hitting. 

RCs offense was the best in the entire history of the league. He seems to know what he is doing. Still not perfect because the Mavs struggled in the clutch but that is more about sloppy execution. Don´t see a reason to change the entire scheme for Boban.
Do you think a post heavy offense with Boban as the center piece would be more efficient than the 5-out flow offense that RC was running all season long?
What you describe can make sense in limited minutes. Mainly when Luka and/or KP are on the bench. Thing is that one of them is on the floor most of the time. No one in his right mind would take the ball out of Lukas hands to run a post heavy offense for 20 minutes a game.

(09-17-2020, 09:32 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Let's look at the Actual Facts: 

I really don´t get why people aren´t able or willing to use the available tracking data. We don´t have to rely on the boxscore. We can directly compare what Boban did when he was sharing the floor with Zubac.
The overall boxscore numbers aren´t really helping in this case. Of course Boban scored more. He had a way higher usage (just like you want it). Zubac won´t get any touches over PG, Kawhi, Lou Will or Morris. On offense they used him as a screen setter and roll man.
Do you want to know how many points Boban scored when he was defended by Zubac? 2. That´s it. 1/5 from the floor. When both shared the floor Bobans did nothing on offense. Zubac wasn´t on the floor for his scoring. He was the most important defender of the series and lead all players with an incredible +78 on court rating. Boban on the other hand is a defensive liability and it makes zero sense to keep him on the floor when he isn´t able to produce on offense.
Overall both shared the floor for 15 minutes. Boban scored 7pts and had 5 reb. He also had 3 fouls. Clippers outscored the Mavs by 7.

I actually agree that Zubac was not only a problem for Boban. He had the best on court rating for a reason and played good pick and roll defense against Luka. Doesn´t change the fact that RC saw a matchup that did not favor the Mavs and tried to avoid it. We can talk about more minutes in the matchup vs Harrell but I am not sure if that would have helped either. In certain situations it just makes sense to bench the biggest defensive liability. For example when the opposing team is having a hot shooting night. No need to give them even more open shots.

On a side note: Relax...multiple emots, bolded parts and even a different color. This is a family friendly board Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used - by dirkfansince1998 - 09-18-2020, 02:32 AM