Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 113, Nuggets 97
Boban Stars in Wipeout of Nuggets
NBA Season Suspended

I don't know how interested people still are in this game, in light of the bigger news, but I think it deserves notice. Fan favorite Boban Marjanovic was the man of the hour in a rollicking victory at the AAC over the West's third-placed team. 

Game Story

The Mavericks were missing several players, with Curry (ankle), DFS (hip flexor), and Porzingis (knee) on the injured list, along with Brunson and Powell. Rick selected a super-sized starting lineup of Luka/THJ/Lee/Maxi/Boban. 

Dallas got off to a slow start, but came back in the last couple of minutes of the first quarter to end the period with a 33-29 edge. They maintained a single-digit lead throughout the second, and went into halftime with a 57-50 advantage. Around the middle of the third quarter, they began to flag and trailed for the rest of the frame, with an 84-85 deficit after three. 

The fourth quarter was a barrel of fun, especially the second half. The Mavs were up five at the 5:14 mark, and ended the game on a 13-2 run. Boban had 16 of the Mavs' 29 points in the period, along with 8 rebounds! Delon Wright took Lee's place in the closing lineup, and he and Bobi went to town. The Nuggets were limited to 12 measly points in the quarter. Good times!

Analytics

This was not your typical Mavericks game. The team took only 35 threes, and made only 12 of those (34%). They had 23 FTAs, and Denver had only 11. All in all, they were -6 on points from threes, +12 on made free throws, and +10 on points from twos. They grabbed 13 offensive rebounds (9 by Bobi), earned 28 points off Nuggets turnovers while giving up only 2 points on their own, and recorded 60 points in the paint and 16 second-chance points. A decisive victory!

Players

Luka (40 min) was 28-6-9 in super-long minutes. He played with exuberance and was frequently spotted with a big grin on his face. He and Boban were really clicking, and he looked tickled pink every time Bobi scored from one of his passes. His injured hands are probably still sore, but he didn't grimace as much as he has done of late. Looked like he was really having a great time out there. 

Hardaway (39 min) was a little shot-happy, with 14 points on 15 attempts, but he had five rebounds and a steal, and some of his made shots were breathtaking. A great floor spacer, and enthusiastic competitor! Carlisle thought he was "phenomenal." 

Maxi (38 min) contributed to the offense with 15 points, including three triples, and anchored the defense in the absence of KP. 

Boban (31 min) was a flaming comet out there. He led all scorers with 31 points on 12-20 shooting, pulled down 17 rebounds, and had a couple of steals. One of those was the play of the game. Jokic grabbed a defensive rebound, and started to dribble. Bobi, who had hung back for a possible offensive board, bent down and stole the ball right out from under him, took a side step to the basket, and dropped the ball right in. I thought I would swoon. He had a career high in both points and rebounds. 

The gentle giant was totally unstoppable, and he made Jokic work for his points on the defensive end. Porzingis had better hurry back, or he might get Wally Pipped, lol. Carlisle admired his performance, calling it "spectacular." I don't think I've enjoyed watching a Mavs game more in a long time. Free Boban!

Wright (28 min) was excellent off the bench, and registered 10 points, 9 boards, 4 dimes, and 4 steals. He also led the team in +/-, at +27. Wow! He is not always an especially consistent player, but when he is on, he is very effective. Rick thought he played great defense, made some important plays, and had a huge three in the fourth quarter. 

Lee (20 min) had 7 points, and was stalwart defensively. Rick commended him after the game, saying he "loves" Lee, and that Lee has established himself as a "hell of an NBA player," a leader in the locker room, a mentor to the younger players, and a highly respected teammate. He has earned the right to play on this team, in Carlisle's eyes. 

Barea (17 min) had 2 points and 4 assists off the bench, and was chosen as the veteran player to speak after the game on the NBA news. Listening to his views, it is easy to imagine him as a steadying presence in the locker room. Coach thought he was "great" in the game. 

Jackson (16 min) didn't have much of a line (2 rebounds, 2 assists, and a block), but the team was +11 when he was on the floor. 

WCS (10 min) made good use of his time on the court, recording 6 points and 7 boards. Carlisle thought he contributed in a big way. It was exciting to see him complete those alley-oops, and he was 3-3 from the field. A cool player. 

Nuggets. I was surprised to see Denver put together a relatively insipid performance. I don't think they were at their best in this match. The Mavs deserve credit for some of their poor showing, but they were also just missing open shots and committing unforced errors. I don't know what the issue was, but I'm glad our guys were able to take advantage. 

Remarks

Rick said this was one of the best regular-season wins that he has ever been a part of. He raved about his team's performance, particularly after the dud of the previous game, and with so many players being out. 

This was a thoroughly enjoyable contest, and something quite different for the Mavericks. A wonderful way to go into the season suspension on a high note!

NBA Season

In the first half, news filtered out that the Thunder-Jazz game had been delayed just prior to tip-off, and that the teams were waiting in their respective locker rooms. Early in the third quarter, we learned that the game had been postponed, and that the NBA was suspending the season indefinitely after this night's slate of games. This was due to Rudy Gobert's contracting the novel coronavirus. 

Carlisle and Rick both spoke to the issue after the game. The players have been advised to stay in town, and to be very vigilant about protecting themselves, being discouraged from such behaviors as eating out or having out-of-town visitors. Cuban said that they are allowed to practice and rehab, and that they are not on vacation. More information is expected in the next few days. 

I had trouble concentrating on the game after I heard the news, just trying to take it all in. It's a gut punch, but not entirely unexpected. Hope everyone on the forum stays safe and healthy during this trying situation. 

Next. Who knows? 

Go Mavs! 
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 113, Nuggets 97 - by mavsluvr - 03-12-2020, 03:02 AM