Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts On Mavs 107, Hawks 111
Beware Long Response

We should be able to realize that we dont have a klay/draymond/iggy or Butler/adebayo/crowder type wings (other than maxi) that can compensate for not playing a 5 defensively and for rebounds; let alone the fact that we can use screen and rolls to get better open jumpshots in various ways if tried. Just looking at other teams in the west and their size/defensive advantage vs our mini lineups.... 

lakers- bron/green/AD/DH/ref help occasionally
clippers- Kawhi/PG/ Harell/Beverly/ Zubac/ Morris/ ref help
jazz- Gobert/ Bogdonovic/Conley/ Harris
okc- Adams/ CP3/Gallo/ SGA
grizz- JV/ JJJ/Morant, 

then you have the "probably pretender" rockets who even have bigger small ball size - PJ tucker, Covington, Westbrook, Jim flopper Harden, Gordon, Jeff green

and then us often only playing maxi/kp as our only size with DFS, THJ, Delon, Curry/Brunson, in over their heads defending players bigger than them by far. MKG should be able to help some with this, but you tell me Boban, WCS cant each play 15 mins a night without KP or even with him so we can control the parts of the game that matter in the playoffs (effort/energy and size to grind out games when shots aren't falling) Also, this would help the "historic offense" more with better screens/ mixed offensive possessions and a floor that is more spaced. 

And yes I know 3s can space the floor but imagine if we took some of the 50% chance shots for 3 points and put up some 75% chance 2 point shots, WE dictate the game and force doubles and get more 3s that are the ones where defense is scrambling and the shooter often catches and is feet set ready to fire. 

It seems late in games and for spells during the game in general, we get caught by the defense because they know we are just trying to create 3pt opportunities. As a result those better coached bigger players gamble on playing tight perimeter defense knowing that even if someone drives by, chances are they are looking to pass and wont say; take a screen and pop for midrange or a drop off to a big in the paint. Its what i call rocketball and it sucks to watch imo. 

To me its no wonder when the 3s aren't falling we have no way to mix and generate offense and we give up size on defense. This more than anything helps contribute to our dry spells and let teams comeback late or straight blitz us out of the gate. Even out east "small ball teams" play bigger players than ours and dont chuck half as many 3s. 

Siamkam, OG anoby,gasol/ibaka/ and bigger guards,  
Giannis/middleton/lopez, 
Smart/Hayward/Brown/Tatum/Theis, 
Adebayo,Butler, Crowder, Iggy, 
Myers lenard, Sabonis/Turner, 

It seems to me we are lucky both GS and POR are having bad years never mind SAS. We need to maximise the big guys we have since we dont have enough wings to compete with other teams "small ball". 

To me looking at our best playoff teams we had legit big men and a good mix of wings/guards. And the guys knew when to shoot a 3 and when to go inside. 

2014 Dirk, VC, Crowder, Matrix, Dalembert,  Blair, Calderon and Monta. 

2011 TC,Haywood,Mahimi,Kidd,Matrix,Stevenson,Brewer,Barea, GodMode Dirk and JET. honorable mention Buter/Peja/Cardinal for a hard foul or two

2006 Diop/Dampier, JHo, Stackhouse, JET, Harris, Daniels, Dirk. 

2003 A Dirk injury and supernova Kerr away from the finals. 

Even if they (our bigs besides KP) foul out, whatever but no reason we cant dictate the matchups sometimes... thats what good teams are supposed to do. Also it will enable us to hang close in a game we should have no business in with maybe a prayer to steal it at the end or just straight up grind teams down and add some transition opportunities to our "historic offense" and build leads faster.

So to end, our PGs need to play at PG only especially if we are not playing a 5 to help tie everything together. 
No JJ at 4. Actually maybe its time to cut his time entirely. Less DFS at 4.
No Delon/Curry at 3. DFS, Hardaway, Lee, MKG and Maxi can cover just fine. Not order specific
Limit time that Brunson/JJB/Delon play at positions other than PG. 

Just a thought.... or 6 Undecided
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts On Mavs 107, Hawks 111 - by dmavs4life03 - 02-26-2020, 06:42 PM