Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Raptors 110
(12-23-2019, 11:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: After sitting with this for a few hours, I would have given the young guys some help in the form of a little Puerto Rican. 

Maybe I l let them figure it out until the lead gets down to 15. 

You can teach by making them do it. You can also teach by saying "sit here and watch this". 

But, you know, also, everything that Dan said up above somewhere.
I think this is where I have come out, especially after rewatching it and being reminded what a mess it was. Barea, the big men, a change in strategy, something to give them some help. 

I don't fault Rick for trying something that didn't work. However, in retrospect, I think he let it go on too long, and I think he would probably agree with that. 

Phil Jackson was known for not calling timeouts, and letting his players figure out how to get themselves out of jams. But he only did it with starters. When his bench units were on the floor, he would rescue them if they didn't look like resolving the problem. The theory being that those players weren't experienced/good enough to solve strategic problems on the court, and it just ruined their confidence to leave them out there to embarrass themselves. The players Rick had out there mostly don't have a lot of NBA experience redirecting the game on the fly.  

Live and learn.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Raptors 110 - by mavsluvr - 12-23-2019, 12:51 PM