Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Raptors 110
(12-23-2019, 08:15 AM)omahen Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 07:36 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I don't think Carlisle ever dreamed they would blow a 30 point lead.

The problem in these situations is not so much on the offensive side. It was also bad, but they did score over 20 points in those last 14 minutes, which should be more than enough. The problem is on the defensive side. They allowed 55 points in 14 minutes against Toronto!!! I am not impatient and they should get time to learn. Or we should bring in a veteran that will handle those end of games situations on the defensive side.

Pretty much every NBA coach I hear now for years has been saying its all about defense and this makes sense because defensive effort and focus is something the players can control.  Offensively sometimes the ball is just not falling in.  As a coach on offense you can get the right players good shots (which of course guys on the bench can't shoot) but mostly you're going to drill your team about a defensive collapse. 

Truth is though efficient offense goes back to the old best defense is a good offense which still has some truth to it.  if you're scoring, the other team is taking the ball out of the basket and you're setting your defense.  That is good offense helping defense.  If you're scoring, you're not turning the ball over, so you're doing something right there and that's definitely going to help your defense.  

So while defense is #1, because players can control it more, the offense also impacts the defense.  20 pts a quarter is 80 a game, so not really ok.  If the Mavericks scored a few more points than it also likely means they would have gave up a few less points and they would have preserved the big lead enough to win the game.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Raptors 110 - by Dahlsim - 12-23-2019, 10:13 AM