Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 82: Dallas Mavericks (50-31) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (56-25)
(04-14-2024, 12:42 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I thought a bit about Hardy´s last game and his seeming 2nd year regression. They already got this wrong in SL, trying to force the ball into his hands imho. And to an extend this is actually Kyrie´s "fault". Think about it. He has become somewhat of a veteran leader on this team. I´m sure he´s mentoring Hardy, too. Hardy shares the very same physical traits as Irving. It´s only natural for a young player like Hardy, that he is trying to mold his game after a highly successful player of similar build.

The problem is Kyrie (and Luka) have godly handles, especially in tight spaces, while it might be Hardy´s biggest weakness. Hardy should mold his PG game after Exum, who can handle the ball a bit, but is very selective with it, when it comes to penetration. Exum is more like an court administrator till we call the bosses again for the tough decisions.

We don´t have to worry about Hardy being too tentative, when it comes to shooting. Though it would be good for next season, if they can move Hardy completely off the ball on the 2nd unit. Catch and shoot. Catch-one dribble-shoot. Simplify the game for him and he can easily give you that THJ production next year imho.

That is true.  Hardy is gotten much better making passing plays.  Some advanced.  He is still sloppy in this area.   I just never understood pairing him with Hardaway.    Even more so with no point guard.  You are just making a disaster a certainty.   I do think Hardy is better as weakside creator while playing with a dominant creator.  I believe he will be in that role next year (4th guard as a regular rotation piece).   I am still high on him.   Still plenty of bumps in the road ahead though.   He is only 21.  Donte Divenchenzo is 27 and after bouncing around a few teams had a break out year this year.  I believe Kidd.   The team knows Hardy is good, he is just going to need time.  

While I agree, forcing the ball in his hands will not play to his strengths now.  I believe it is important to try to make him get better at this.  It will only help the Mavs and Jaden moving forward.   If he can be a competent defender and more reliable handling the ball (and not attacking every time...he got better here during the second half of the season), I believe it could be the difference of making a 100 million over his career or being a minimum type of guy who bounces around the league and then disappears after 5-6 more years.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 82: Dallas Mavericks (50-31) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (56-25) - by Chicagojk - 04-15-2024, 10:29 AM