Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 55: San Antonio Spurs (11-43) vs. Dallas Mavericks (31-23)
(02-15-2024, 09:34 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I also don't get the Gaffod "hate" around here. After he was hyped up as the next coming of Christ after the first game, people are now realizing, that an 11/8 startin Center of a shitty Wizard's team is not that? Wow.

So, to make it clear: He is here as a backup to Lively and some kind of insurance, because Lively is kind of injury-prone so far. Sure, we would be pretty much screwed if Lively went down in the playoffs but Gafford could maybe hold down the fort for a little while. Other than that he is one of the best real backup centers in this league and can also make his Free-Throws, wich Lively can't. This could be huge.

Gafford was NOT meant to be the answer at Center but it was still perfect to trade for him because it really solidifies our bigs rotation and options:

Need a small-ball big and play all-five-out basketball to most liekly finish games? We have Kleber.
Need a modern, mobile big that can protect the paint and defend at the perimeter due to lateral quickness and is a lob-threat on offense? We have Lively.
Need strong rebounding and more conservative center play? We have Gafford.

This is perfect, because everybody has his shortcomings. You can't play anyone of them for 48 minutes and under any circumstances. Kleber is too small and injury-prone to play him heavy minutes, Lively is inexperienced, a little frail and can't hit Free-Throws. Gafford is too slow do defend and kind of an empty-stats-guy.

Much more important: Washington can not hit anything, he is not scoring yet but he is still part of our good lineups. Scrazy to think if he turns the corner on offense. My prognosis: Our best lineup will consist of Luka, Kyrie, Green, Washington and Lively/Kleber. Maybe Exum sees some minutes here or there. Having Gafford, Timmy, DJJ and Hardy as serviceable options is a luxury. This team will be great if we stay healthy.

I like this post a lot except for the Gafford "empty stats" declaration.

Rebounding, high efficiency finishing at the rim and rim protection are all valuable.  We're also 3-0 since the trade despite Lively only playing 17 minutes total in those 3 games.  I think we both agree that it was a good trade.  I will just protest the empty stats label on Gafford as long as we're winning.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • michaeltex, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 02-14-2024, 09:47 PM
RE: JamesConway912 - by KillerLeft - 02-14-2024, 09:53 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 02-15-2024, 10:48 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 02-15-2024, 10:37 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by surfpuckmd - 02-15-2024, 12:09 PM
RE: Game 55: San Antonio Spurs (11-43) vs. Dallas Mavericks (31-23) - by surfpuckmd - 02-15-2024, 12:04 PM