Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ideal roles for the current roster
(04-12-2024, 01:59 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Contenders generally have three guys who can create their own shot (i.e. not in a million years "the center position" unless it's Jokic). I guess Exum is pretty close to that. Thing with Exum is 1) he was absolute trash as an NBA player before he remade himself extremely admirably in Europe, and 2) they've been handling him with kid gloves this year minutes- and responsibility-wise due to his injury history/proclivities. Can he make the jump to being a 30 mpg reliable playoff scorer? If so, give him the MIP award right now. Love him as a Mav, and hope he can do it. If he does, then it would seem to indicate (presuming health to the rest of the rotation) that there will also have been a parade in Dallas.

BTW, regardless, Exum's TO will make him 1) perhaps the league's best non-rookie bargain contract next year, and 2) really expensive to bring back in the summer of '25. That's his only shot at getting paid as an NBA player, so it's safe to say there won't be a discount for the Mavs.

At this point in his career, you don't rely on PJ to be your third option. I'll be happy if he steps up enough to be a reliable fourth option this postseason.

When you have two elite creators in your starting lineup, I don't know that it is as important to have a third.  I do look at Exum as the third creator on this team.  I agree that his fragility is a concern, but I'm not worried about his struggles several years ago.  As for his contract in 25, we will have early bird rights and be able to pay him roughly MLE.  Too early to know if that is going to be enough or not, but I doubt he would go for more than that this coming offseason if he were available.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ideal roles for the current roster - by loki - 01-27-2024, 01:42 PM
RE: Ideal roles for the current roster - by loki - 01-27-2024, 02:56 PM
RE: Ideal roles for the current roster - by mvossman - 04-12-2024, 03:48 PM
RE: Ideal roles for the current roster - by Jym - 04-13-2024, 03:43 PM