Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 30: Dallas Mavericks (18-12) vs. Phoenix Suns (14-15)| 128-114 WIN!!!
(12-26-2023, 10:32 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Dan you and Sleeping Hero in the other thread really met my morning wish for excellent analysis. Thank you both!

So it makes me wonder just how much you think a back up center who provides rim protection would improve this current team?

Thanks!

I actually do.  There is a data point that says the Mav's are undefeated when they hold teams to a D-Rating under 120.  That 120 number happens to also be the worst season-long team D-Rating in the league (well, 121 currently, but it was 120 when I first heard this number).  I think I remember that we are like 1-11 when we give up over 120 D-Rating, but I haven't updated that myself to know if that has changed.  You get the point.

So, what needs to happen so that we aren't the worst D in the league on any given night?  We have 11 five man lineups that have played at least 10 minutes and have a D-Rating over 120.  All but one include THJ.  Seven of those are with Powell, three are with Lively and one is with Morris.  Almost all of those lineups include Luka.  That doesn't mean the same thing doesn't happen with Irving.  There just aren't as many lineups with 10 minutes or more.  But, Hardaway is all over the Irving based lineups that have a D-Rating worse than 120.

So, we have two choices...Move on from THJ or find a way to make THJ OK.  The interesting thing about the Lively/THJ lineups that give up a lot of points is they tend to score a lot of points too and many have a positive net rating.  It is the 'anyone else' lineups with THJ that just kill you.  So, if THJ's shooting/scoring is necessary to making the bench unit work (and it might be), then you have to change centers.  The priority has to be defense for this spot.  Anything else they provide is just gravy.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, Reunion Mav
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 30: Dallas Mavericks (18-12) vs. Phoenix Suns (14-15)| 128-114 WIN!!! - by DanSchwartzgan - 12-26-2023, 11:08 AM