Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron
(06-16-2023, 11:04 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Ayton/Luka is positively nothing like Jokic/Murray.  Luka is tremendously more like Jokic than Ayton is.  A much more comparable pair is Luka/Kyrie.

I understand from that perspective.  That's a surface player to player comparison. 

I'm referring to building around a star combination at guard/center where the dominance comes from unstoppable offense even when their defense is average at best.   

In that respect I think Luka/Ayton would be very similar to Jokic/Murray in terms of what the Maverick coaching stuff would build their style of play and supporting roster around.  

I do agree that Luka/Kyrie is also an offensive fulcrum to build around.  I think Luka/Ayton as a pair could get to average level defensively on a roster much easier than Luka/Kyrie which always looks like it will be a massive challenge to build defense around. 

In addition there will always be Kyrie's commitment level question marks even when he's full in a contract commitment.  He may just 'retire' at any time leaving your 1/2 punch to just one.  I like the idea of an inside star and outside star a bit more and I think Ayton may still have untapped potential.    Kyrie's potential is great but its pretty much also more fully tapped.  I've read for example that Ayton's 29.2% 3 point shooting shows signs in practice that it could get much better if it were a focus and setup better.  Doubt he would ever reach Jokic level but he could be coached up to be a better defender than Jokic. 

Anyway, I don't know that Ayton is even in play of the Mavs so not to derail the OP.  The proposed CLE trade sounds great and tbqh I think with Kidd as coach Allen sounds much better as a fit to the defensive style Jason seems to be gunning for in Dallas.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron - by Dahlsim - 06-16-2023, 11:45 AM