Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Lakers 100
(12-02-2019, 11:02 AM)Sigma4Life Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 10:58 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 09:59 AM)Sigma4Life Wrote: It's not like Donnie can just pick players and force them to sign with the Mavs.
Not exactly in that way, but in every pitch made, there is a winner and quite a few losers. Sure, some of the destinations are favorable over others giving those places the advantage, but that is only 1 aspect of the pitch. I can't speak to specifics as I'm not in the room, all I can go on is track record and ours is not very good. We money whip people as our only go-to move, there were FAs that didn't get money whipped and went to lesser destination teams.

None of our top targets went to lesser teams. If you have any examples I've overlooked please let me know. Otherwise see my post above where I noted that top FAs go to playoff caliber teams, which the Mavs were were FAR from last season.

This is the #1 reason why we stay available in the market for '21.  This will be the year that the Mavs are THE destination - the moment when opportunity and desirability meet and we can finally take advantage of the FA market.  It has been proven that Dallas is not a market that you can simply clear the roster and expect to attract people.  But in '21, the Mavs will be coming off 2 playoff runs with the best young duo in the league. if not the best, period.  What the Mavs FO can do to increase those odds are to make the right moves in the next two years to show the big guys that we WILL spend to win, and do so in a way that also shows them that we can plan for the future - to ensure that their future is bright and that they window doesn't close during their contract.  And maintain future assets so that the cupboard is not completely bare if we need something to acquire him with and for when after the team is capped out.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Lakers 100 - by Mavsfan12 - 12-02-2019, 01:39 PM