Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does Jackson get inconsistent minutes
(12-02-2019, 03:57 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 03:26 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Yeah, I see Seth's game differently.  While not functioning as the primary ballhandler, he is part of what RC has praised as being a connecting player.  While he certainly gets more assists than JJax, he also has a lot of hockey assists too.  It is a part of Seth's game that I have always appreciated.  While their primary function (and the source of most of their shots) is to be a spacer and knock down outlet, what they do when they are not shooting is somewhat different.   

That said, I actually agree with your other points.  1and2) with Brunson/DWarp out there, is that a bigger need than, say height/rebounding/defense that maybe JJax is better at?  3) youth is an asset.  no doubt.  So is finding out what you have in the player and developing him to his full potential.

I would add that so far this season, JJax has performed the primary role at a more efficient clip than Seth.  It is early, and Seth's track record certainly gives him the benefit here, but that would be the case I would make for JJax.  He has been pretty elite so far this season - ranking in the top 10 for 3pt% in the league.

Lastly, while this post has compared Seth/JJax, I would actually think it was Brunson who's play has not been up to par this season out of the 3.  His 3pt shot has really fallen off, but even he has found his niche by being an attacker into the paint.  Haha.  It goes round and round.  Lots of pretty good options to choose from here!!!  Also, since they are really all playing together for most of their time on the court, there isn't a substantial amount of time that can really be reallocated between the 3 of those players any way.  It makes for an interesting discussion though!
You're in luck. There's actually a "hockey assist" statistic NBA tracks called the secondary assist: https://stats.nba.com/players/passing/?C...TION*E*dal&sort=SECONDARY_AST&dir=1

Seth averages 0.2 per game; JJax averages 0.1 per game. Considering one plays 8 more mins than the other, it's a wash from a statistical standpoint. 

I think both are high bball IQ guys than know how to move the ball around. I just prefer JJax's potential, size, and slight rebounding/defensive advantage over Seth. 

As for Brunson, his 3PT shot has been surprisingly abysmal. But yes he is killing it inside the paint with his rim attacking (54% from 2PT) and playmaking (second highest AST% on team). He is also quietly a plus defender (best defensive rating on the team), and rebounds well for his size. According to advanced analytics, Brunson is outplaying Seth by a good margin despite getting less opportunity. And I'll leave it at that.

Great discussion Mavs fan!! Number 12 on here but number 1 in our hearts.

@"mavsluvr" check out my previous post, I touched on some of your points. But I will add that it seems like you're under the impression Carlisle has him buried on the bench because he's the inferior player even though all the data thus far proves otherwise. I think it has more to do with optics or politics, and we'll leave it at that.
I don't necessarily think Carlisle believes either player is inferior to the other. I do think he doesn't consider them as fungible. Just like he doesn't think Seth and Maxi or Powell are interchangeable. They have different jobs. I don't think RC cares about optics or politics, except of course to whatever degree is necessary to please his boss. Interesting to go through the thought exercise, though!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why does Jackson get inconsistent minutes - by mavsluvr - 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM