Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case)
(07-15-2022, 12:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What's the easiest way for Dallas to end up with Kemba Walker (other than for the minimum after a buyout, of course)?

Obviously, he's a trade match for Powell.  Powell is the most obvious outgoing in a trade matched deal (or Powell plus Green for Kemba plus someone like Saben Lee).  But all versions with Powell outgoing need to figure out why Detroit would want Powell and Noel.

As I mentioned in the OP, Detroit still has $10mm in cap room until Knox becomes official.  That isn't enough for Powell, but you can expand Detroit's room by:

1.  Sending Dallas or a 3rd team a contract worth $1.1mm or more (I'm using Saben Lee because of the Sweeney/Stackhouse connections)

2.  Kemba taking the right sized discount in his buyout and reducing his cap hit.  (I'm not positive on this.  I'm not talking about an offset, I'm talking about discounting guaranteed money).  

In either case, Powell is again joining a team that already has Noel in the 'Powell expiring role'.  Version #1 creates a TPE large enough to take back Kemba in a separate deal (if they don't want to wait until September to aggregate).  But, it has the additional problem of having to compensate Detroit for giving up a young player.  

That is why I started down the path of rolling Powell into a bigger deal with NY, Utah and possibly Orlando.  One of expiring Powell or Noel (if you don't aggregate him) can end up in Utah.  I think there are all sorts of crazy ways to make things happen if you open that floodgate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only Fantasy Traders in the Building (The Mitchell Case) - by DanSchwartzgan - 07-15-2022, 04:30 PM