Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brittney Griner Trial
I thought that this was a topic worth discussing/following.  I am curious to hear some pov's on this situation.  According to the story, Griner has entered a guilty plea, and by accounts actually did commit the crime of transporting illegal drugs into the country.  The fact that this is a high profile case, (especially at a time of high political tensions), I think makes it more controversial.  There have been rallies and large outpourings of support for her return.

While I feel badly for her and her family, I am concerned about this case from a perspective of precedent.  Reports indicate that her release would require the US turning over seriously bad actors.  Does her case warrant such a tradeoff? She did break the law.  If it was a US crime and judicial system, would an average person avoid punishment?  Now, included in this would be the fact that Russia will probably punish her MORE harshly than it otherwise would BECAUSE she is high profile.

I am curious to see other's reaction.  I am not sure how I feel on this subject yet.  I would say that commentary on whether or not what she did SHOULD be a crime is probably unproductive.  There are certainly rights and privileges that we enjoy in the US that other countries do not entertain.  I have always felt that if you travel abroad, you need to be aware of these types of things. I have seen the movie Brokedown Palace.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/342...ges-russia
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Brittney Griner Trial - by Mavsfan12 - 07-07-2022, 02:42 PM
RE: Brittney Griner Trial - by Bayliss - 07-07-2022, 03:50 PM
RE: Brittney Griner Trial - by Mavsfan12 - 07-07-2022, 10:08 PM
RE: Brittney Griner Trial - by Mavsfan12 - 07-09-2022, 12:17 PM
RE: Brittney Griner Trial - by Mavsfan12 - 07-14-2022, 02:58 PM
RE: Brittney Griner Trial - by Mavsfan12 - 07-15-2022, 11:12 AM
RE: Brittney Griner Trial - by Mavsfan12 - 08-04-2022, 12:30 PM