Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Knicks 106, Mavs 103
(11-15-2019, 02:50 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Bigger picture. A lot of young team type issues. This should improve, probably a lot, as the season wears on, although that may not be reflected in W-L record, as there are a lot of good teams out there. I know I will get flamed for this, but this team may have set expectations a little too high with their early successes. Tbh, on paper, the roster, aside from Luka and KP, is pretty barf-worthy for a contender. Not that these guys aren't good basketball players -- they're very good -- but they're just (necessarily) being asked to do too much relative to their capacities. I would be surprised if many of these players are still on the team in a couple of seasons, and if they are, I think it will be for a good reason (they performed above expectations) rather than a bad one (the Mavs couldn't find anyone better). I think, although the Mavs are definitely trying to win this season and contend for a playoff spot, their numero uno objective is to mold the squad into a Carlisle team, even if it means sacrificing a few Ws. 

Been missing your recaps, so glad you found your way here, and that the Mavs are competitive enough for you to share your input again! 

The bit that I quoted above  - right on! All of the Carlisle bashers and knee-jerkers don't seem to realize that the Mavs are playing the long game.

Playoffs would be nice, but I don't really think it's a goal of the MBT this season.

This season is for building chemistry, for getting our young team more experience (that includes guys who have been around for a few years but never had this big of a role) and molding this team into a RC team. 

Seriously, some of these new guys, we don't really know what we have yet. That takes time to find out. Rick has to play with lineups to find out what works, and what doesn't.

Like I said, playoffs would be really nice, but this is a rebuild in progress. It might be a year early to insist that we HAVE to make the playoffs or the season is a failure.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Knicks 106, Mavs 103 - by embellisher - 11-15-2019, 11:02 AM