Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(Is the article shared anywhere within the 12-13 pages of this thread?. Now to my thoughts...)

First thing that comes to mind for me is where is this article coming from? 
-WHO are the sources? WHO has something to lose or gain in all of this. 
-WHY is it coming out? 

With that, I’m going to try and frame my thinking since I lack facts. This sounds like a story which fits a lot of narrative’s, but the narrative I care most about is basically 1a) and 2b)

1a) Is this indicative of Luka’s happiness and/or is Luka a minority factor while the happiness/agenda attempting to be satisfied is brought by the agent as the major factor?

2b) Is a coaching staff or GM/scout, or a combination of coaches and GM/scouts threatened in some way by the rise of this figure and the relationship to Cuban that the motivation behind this story is an offensive agenda for one or more on the staff?

I say 1a) because my concern level is high where as my concern with 2b) is just mild.

Taking a macro view I tend to believe this gambler figure was at one point well respected or at minimum well tolerated within the organization. I don’t believe the report about his control and meddling in the coaching at face value, but I do believe he could have been enabled to play a large role within the team structure by way of team shared responsibility; OR he TOOK a larger role by way of force while being tolerated within a dysfunctional structure (indicative of a Cuban problem). 

If he was tolerated and enabled within a shared responsibility structure and now 2b is playing out; those coaches or gm/scout figures could be threatened by him and are forming this offensive. 

If he was enabled by Cuban and forced his way into this level of control 2b may be playing out to get the attention of Cuban who is very biased in his thinking so this may have been the only way.

There is also a possibility within 2b Cuban enabled this but was correct about this guy’s skill and ability to impact the team and the coaching staff and or gm/scouting staff are in the wrong.

On the other hand 1a is very concerning but might be an easy band aid to tear off if simply this is an issue of a bad Apple in the organization and Luka and/or his agent are muscling to get him out. Very Lebron-like to make a move like this and I’ll accept it if this is how Luka/his agent will play ball. More power to them, we are at their mercy.

If 1a goes deeper than 1 bad Apple and is only a symptom of a dysfunctional organization headed by Cuban than we have real problems fellas. What is the chances of that? I don’t like the odds no matter how small, because I know deep down this is a possibility. And any possibility of this is extremely concerning when it could affect your team retaining and building around a star like Luka. And just makes me sick at the thought of it.

Another idea i just had for 1a is a bit wild but what if this guy is kinda like Cuban’s gm by extension and Luka’s agent wants to take this role from him to get more control in a Team Lebron like move like Lebron did with his friend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM… - by DallasBasketball - 06-15-2021, 03:26 PM