Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell
As a former DP-hater current DP-apologist I respect the things he does out there. I am not saying I am committing to keeping him long-term but I want to see how this KP/DP/Maxi frontcourt works out. 

I like DP as your starter energy guy with Maxi closing a lot of games, depending on the situation. DP closed the Lakers game in spectacular fashion but that was a unique circumstance which we may not see in a long-time.

Just those 3 can soak up a lot of the PF/C minutes for a game with some 5-10 min contributions from WCS and or Melli. 

I have learned that Powell is rarely going to wow you with his box score numbers. One thing that is a little misleading I think are his rebound numbers, I'd really like to see team numbers when he is out there bc I have a feeling the fact that he is actually trying to box out ppl means we probably do okay with defensive rebounding. We certainly have seen him aggressive on the offensive boards.

On defense he is a good team defender and lately has been showing better as an individual defender. A lot of teams are going to want their PF/C star player to abuse Powell. I want to see how he does going forward. I also think Mavs as a team are getting better at help defense when he is outmatched (which will happen a lot).

All that to say I want to ride this thing out to the finish line this year with MVPowell and see how it goes. We tried 5 out basketball with Maxi and it's fine for stretches of the game (I especially like it in closing lineups) but its not working as like a full-time strategy.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell - by StepBackJay - 04-26-2021, 03:09 PM