Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP
(03-27-2021, 01:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: They're just not in that mode right now. They don't believe that it's "the smart play." You and I don't have to agree, but securing our agreement isn't a hurdle they have to clear. I can dig long form debates over the team's overall approach, but I just don't get how THIS piddly little move, made under the pre-existing and easily attained knowledge that they likely wouldn't even consider something like the Bledsoe thing you describe above, gets people's feathers so up. 

If they had held onto that 2nd, they absolutely would have included it in another trade over the summer. My strong instinct is that the same people who hate this trade would've hated that one, too. At some point, can't we just enjoy watching the team play with open minds?

They are never in this mode because Mark Cuban has zero patience.  And while I think Donnie's done a pretty horrible job for the better part of a decade, it's the last bit of rope I give him in that Cuban's aversion to losing, as admirable as it is, often leaves you in no mans land (not good enough to compete, not bad enough to draft top prospects).  

And I completely get everyone seeing "THIS piddly little move" as a nothing burger, but this the pattern the MBT follow.  It's not one piddly move, it's every move.  In hindsight the KP move was probably a little too soon but I'd still have done it ten times out of ten.  The issue is that you spent an extra pick to get Luka and then two more for KP which left you very little margin for error when trying to improve your team.  There's a deeper conversation to be had about the state of the team prior to those acquisitions that left you so devoid of foster talent, but that's a story for another time.

They did some good things post KP.  The resigned DFS and Maxi to bargain contracts and you have to give them credit for identifying those two and developing them.  They then signed Seth Curry to sweetheart contract.  But they also spun their wheels that off season in the assumed chase for Kemba (couldn't get a conversation), PatBev (couldn't get a conversation but hard to blame them there when the Clippers gave him what he wanted to stay put) and Danny Green (embarrassing that they got strung along by him).  Settled for Delon at the last minute because they wanted either a massive splash (Kemba) or a defensive guard next to Luka.  Lack of recruiting or properly analyzing the free agency landscape cost them two second round picks.  

Delon didn't work but shit happens, they got off of him without too much pain.  But that led to trading Curry (elite skill on a value contract) for Josh (who was having a down year for the 76ers and entering the final year of his contract) to be that defender next to Luka that they hoped Delon would be and got tipped a SRP (Bey).   I hated this trade at the time and the Mavs certainly should have pushed for more or better draft compensation.

Now midway through the Josh acquisition season we decide we need more shooting and send a SRP for an expiring, old, and injured Redick.  

So piddly moves have butterfly effects.  We can't just keep treating the few assets we have with a devil may care attitude.  At the end of the day Delon might have cost us 3 SRPs and Curry with a very real chance that they only thing we'll have to show for it next season is Bey.  This offseason we could be right back to the search for looking for a defensive guard and a 3PT shooter (Curry still has another year on his contract).  To add insult to injury, Detroit just turned Delon into two SRPs.  That's two seasons of not improving your team.  If I'm Luka or anyone the Mavs are looking to recruit, I'm not going to be filled with confidence.

Little things matter.

-Green over Bey (it's weird that the team picks the upside project when they are so hell bent on winning now and have a coach that is allergic to rookies)
-Letting that TPE expire
-Trade miscues 

Second round picks can matter:  Our own Jalen Brunson or guys like Draymond or Jokic.

Sorry for being long winded.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by HAguiar95 - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Mavs2021 - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:02 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Chicagojk - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by mtrot - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP - by cow - 03-28-2021, 12:35 AM