Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP
(03-27-2021, 05:51 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks, F Gump, not sure that's the way it works. 

I believe that when a team knowingly acquires an injured player in a trade, they waive the requirement that he pass a physical.
That is not correct.

Even if you trade for a player who is injured, all trades have two approval points. The first is with the league office, on the CBA issues. The second is after the NBA approval, when the player shows up and gets a medical examination. A trade is not complete until all players pass the physical with the new team. A trade at the deadline doesn't change that.

There is no question that this happened with Redick in some way or another. If there was no medical examination of some sort that happened, how would they already know that his condition was not as expected? They know, from the physical. It's just part of the process, a protection for everyone. 

It is nothing new for a player to change teams and their medical condition to be unexpectedly worse. That happens, with both healthy and unhealthy players. So every team is given the chance for their own medical staff to examine the player and based on their own staff's determination (since a prognosis is always a judgment call) determine the degree of injury (if any) and then decide AGAIN if they want to do the deal, or undo it. "We won't do this deal as is" can then lead to added negotiation, rather than simply voiding the deal.

As for how the deadline factors into the equation, they certainly could have voided the deal after the physical. getting better info. Could they have revised the deal? My belief (but I am working from implied info, not certainty, on this point) is that they couldn't revise players after the deadline (other than to simply send everyone back where they began), but they could agree somehow to adjust using picks and cash. I think that the NBA office can get involved in resolving these situations too, where the physical shows new or unexpected information.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by HAguiar95 - 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Mavs2021 - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:01 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Kammrath - 03-25-2021, 02:02 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by Chicagojk - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick to DAL - by mtrot - 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM
RE: TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP - by F Gump - 03-28-2021, 12:02 AM