Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell
(03-25-2021, 01:16 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Big night for Dwight! He’s busting his butt to make Jommybone look smart here. Least I can do is update his numbers:

20-21 stats by month (excluding small sample December)

Minutes: 17.5 (Jan), 11.9 (Feb), 11.9 (Mar)

Points/min: .24, .36, .45 (compare .35 last season)

Rebounds: 3.6, 2.9, 3.9

Rebounds/min .21, .24, .33 (.28 career season high)

FG%: 41.7, 40.0, 64.0 (last year’s 63.8 only time in the 60’s)

FT%: 50, 86, 89 (never finished a season in the 80s)

He's also shooting 40% on 3's in March.  Before we get too excited, that is 2/5 (Small Sample Size Alert!).

In 8 games in March (all of which have not been gems), his TS% is .725 and his O-Rating is 151 (what?).  That is a huge reversal of what I thought was his biggest issue earlier in the year.  His defensive numbers have been good (the team is 9.7 points better defensively when Powell is in, but that might be more about KP being bad than Powell being good).  But, his O-Rating was atrocious compared to Powell's stellar history on that stat.  

Before we get too excited about the last two games, most of Powell's damage has come in the 4th quarters of games that weren't especially close.  I personally don't think WCS has the ability to keep the light-bulb on consistently.  I'd love to see Powell take back the role of backup big.  Powell at 19 minutes last night means we aren't quite at a 3 man big rotation.  He had Maxi next to him for almost the entire time he was in, but 19 minutes means we are also getting some minutes when KP and DFS are the bigs.  That combo hasn't been good defensively (119.5) this season.  I'd love to see a breakdown of KP/DFS with and without Maxi.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell - by DanSchwartzgan - 03-25-2021, 07:18 AM