Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell
(03-24-2021, 01:46 AM)F Gump Wrote: Contracts are a big factor in a player's value. How much of your payroll do they consume? What will some other team pay to get him from you at that cost?

I see what you are saying is you would do that Powell deal - what remains of it - right now, again, knowing what you know. (Because you'd rather have that over an empty roster slot.) Hmm.

I certainly would not.

I do think the Mavs are hoping someone in the NBA would be of that mindset as you. But consider the Cavs and Drummond. I strongly suspect the Mavs offered Powell, Johnson, and probably a pick. But Cleveland would rather waive AD and pay him in full, than make that deal and be saddled with 2 more years of DP.

Also, DP's not of any value as trade filler, since he's not on an expiring contract. With 2 more years on his deal after this one, that's the opposite of "filler" - he has to be worth his contract, or the other team will balk at getting stuck with him. Johnson right now can be filler. DP definitely is not, and won't be until forever.

I have to ask, is what he offers worth 11M a year for the rest of this year, and 2 more? He's a 2nd or 3rd string center, and those are all dirt cheap. Or at least they should be. To me that's a huge no - it's not even close - and that's a problem given he is not that productive AND he can't be moved to another team.

Just as importantly, I think the chance that he gets "better" is more likely than not --- BUT that he ever again produces to be worth that 11M (or anywhere in that vicinity) is almost nonexistent.

Yeah, you can see it like I would do this contract again. But I would make the last year a team option now.

We didn't have any use for cap space since we signed the contract. And that's not by random. If it's not for GA, it's pretty much better to be over the cap than to be under. 

We don't know about the Drummond Talks. As I know the Cavs could be still hoping for a pick and the Mavs only want a buyout. 

I'm talking as filler next draft or trade deathline.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell - by Mapka - 03-24-2021, 06:45 AM