Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 1.5 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
7 100.00%
Blazers
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 40: DAL (21-19) @ POR (25-16) | 119-125 loss
(03-20-2021, 02:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this, and I think you'll find that most people do. 

Having said that, you might be making some dangerous assumptions as to WHY this is happening. None of us know for sure, but I hope your thinking allows for the possibility that Porzingis himself is at least partially responsible for this issue, and maybe more than partially. 

He doesn't set great screens, for one thing. Personally, I feel like Luka and the coach have both made an effort over the past month to get him more involved and playing better. We've seen more post ups from him during that time than we saw all of last season. That's the way it feels, at least. The thing is, at SOME POINT in the game, the offense needs to go back to what is TRULY dominant for the team - Luka, with the ball in his hands, running spread pick and roll. 

To my thinking, it's kind of up to Porzingis to recognize that this is what the team is built around and figure out how to flourish within that action. It's kind of up to Luka who's involved in the initial action, not Carlisle, because it's based on matchups, thinking of switches ahead of time. In theory, KP standing in the corner (should Luka not opt to include him) compelling his defender to remain near the three point line DOES give the team an advantage. However, defenses are really smart, and relocating effectively is the natural next step with that play style. Talented as he is, I don't know that Porzingis has become proficient with that skill the way Kleber, THJ and DFS have. I DO trust him to finish the play by shooting as much or more than any of those guys, but that's just not the only step that matters. 

To me, it's as if KP wants the team to be built (offensively) around HIM, and not Luka. I don't see how that could possibly make sense to anyone besides him. HE needs to lean into the idea that his way forward is playing off of Luka, imo. Must be tough to wrap his head around though, considering we're talking about someone less mature than he.

I dont think KP thinks the team should be built only, or primarily around him, but it should be built more around him than everyone else except Luka. AND he absolutely right IF he's thinks that when the game is on the line, he shouldn't be sitting in the corner trying to create space for Maxi and Jrich to operate for the last 8 minutes of the game.

KP doesnt usually set screens.  By choice or by coaching he slips every one of them, gets a mismatch just about every time.

Moving Rodney Hood over doesn't really fix a thing.  He sucks as a defender and if you watch the game, the defneder by the end wasn't moving over.  For Pete's sake, KP stood at the three point line BY HIMSELF with no one within 12 feet of him, as JRich took on two guys for a layup and that stuff happens ALL...the...time.

If I was KP, I'd be pissed.

Look, if you guys think that KP should just be one of the other guys on this team (which even though you post otherwise, you come right back around to kind of), then trade him for Rpbert Covington and lets just be Houston of the last four years.  I just don't think that will work.

Why didn't CP and RW work with JH in Houston?  Because JH wanted to be James and the boys, and nit JH and CP and the boys or JH and RW and the boys....when he figured it out finally, after they all left or were shown the door, he went to Brooklyn and he's doing much better there,  i dont think they will win, nor do I think that KP is KD, but its not all on the BIG man, who has to be delivered the ball...just like every other big man in the world...including Dirk, to figure out how to get himself the ball.  That's on the play style, the coach and the PG.

If Luka wants a shot, he dribbles around and takes one. 
If Brunson wants a shot, he dribbles around and takes one.
If JRich wants a shot, he dribbles around and takes one.

If Maxi gets a shot, it's usually off the offensive action, he doesn't take it off the dribble.
If KP wants a shot, they've got to run action for him to get the ball to take it.

It just is what is.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 40: DAL (21-19) @ POR (25-16) | 119-125 loss - by TXBamanut - 03-20-2021, 04:26 PM