Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 1.5 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
7 100.00%
Blazers
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 40: DAL (21-19) @ POR (25-16) | 119-125 loss
(03-20-2021, 02:30 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: KP is NOT Shaq, but he is one of our top two players, and the Lakers NEVER won running Shaq in the corner for the last 8 minutes of the game, guarded by the 3rd or 4th best defensive player on the other team and running the two man game with Kobe and Fisher.

I agree with this, and I think you'll find that most people do. 

Having said that, you might be making some dangerous assumptions as to WHY this is happening. None of us know for sure, but I hope your thinking allows for the possibility that Porzingis himself is at least partially responsible for this issue, and maybe more than partially. 

He doesn't set great screens, for one thing. Personally, I feel like Luka and the coach have both made an effort over the past month to get him more involved and playing better. We've seen more post ups from him during that time than we saw all of last season. That's the way it feels, at least. The thing is, at SOME POINT in the game, the offense needs to go back to what is TRULY dominant for the team - Luka, with the ball in his hands, running spread pick and roll. 

To my thinking, it's kind of up to Porzingis to recognize that this is what the team is built around and figure out how to flourish within that action. It's kind of up to Luka who's involved in the initial action, not Carlisle, because it's based on matchups, thinking of switches ahead of time. In theory, KP standing in the corner (should Luka not opt to include him) compelling his defender to remain near the three point line DOES give the team an advantage. However, defenses are really smart, and relocating effectively is the natural next step with that play style. Talented as he is, I don't know that Porzingis has become proficient with that skill the way Kleber, THJ and DFS have. I DO trust him to finish the play by shooting as much or more than any of those guys, but that's just not the only step that matters. 

To me, it's as if KP wants the team to be built (offensively) around HIM, and not Luka. I don't see how that could possibly make sense to anyone besides him. HE needs to lean into the idea that his way forward is playing off of Luka, imo. Must be tough to wrap his head around though, considering we're talking about someone less mature than he.

(03-20-2021, 02:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I agree with this to an extent....BUT I also know that Luka preferred DP last year and would constantly call on a DP pick and roll as his favorite play. Its almost like Luka doesn't see KP as a good enough pick and roll partner or as if KP has a limit on the number of pick and rolls he can be part of from the medical staff. Or RC prefers using KP to space the floor for other pick and roll action. 

I think Luka doesn't look for KP more either because...

1) he really doesn't think KP is good enough 

OR 

2)because they have a personal beef

OR

3) KP doesn't want to be in pick and rolls

OR

4) the coaching or medical staff is somehow discouraging it.

I agree with every word of this post, and I'd add that of the options you present, #4 seems far and away the least likely. You think Cuban isn't kicking Carlisle's door in after every loss with "why isn't KP more involved? We're paying him a TON of money!"???
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 40: DAL (21-19) @ POR (25-16) | 119-125 loss - by KillerLeft - 03-20-2021, 02:43 PM