Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
(02-23-2021, 03:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It was really premature and some folks really scoffed, but I said after the preseason that I think the Mavs hit on all three of JG, TT, and TBey. By "hit" I mean they will all be at least rotation guys at some point in their careers. And nothing has changed my opinion. 

Totally agree.

There are different types of rookies, and they go to different types of situations. When you draft a Desmond Bane or a Jalen Brunson, you’re hoping they can contribute right away. That’s not to say that older rookies can’t ALSO improve over time, but the immediate upside there is that they can contribute sooner. 

As I said on draft night, the Mavs’ approach to this draft was a complete left turn from anything they’ve done in a long, long time (other than the DSJ/Luka picks, which were stabs at a “beginning”). They drafted raw, talented players who weren’t the best options to contribute early, but who fit (hopefully) into a vision of the team’s future. Now, no guarantees that the vision will be realized, but it was exceedingly clear to me that these picks weren’t made with THIS SEASON in mind. If they’d wanted an instant contributor, they would’ve taken SBey or others who were more ready to play right away. 

This is why I NEVER get upset when the rookies don’t get time on the court, because I know that the picks were made with the long game in mind, and I know that putting players in position to immediately fail in front of a TV audience isn’t always the best way to “develop” them. I’m certainly happy they’re getting this chance to gain experience in the g-league though. 

Bey might have been the most raw when drafted, especially if they actually plan on making him a wing, but...since they seem to view him at least partially as a 4, and since that position is a major issue for the team this season, I actually think he, not Green, has the best chance at contributing quickly. Green has at least three veteran players ahead of him - DFS, THJ and Richardson.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Terry, Bey & Hinton | Josh Green now joining - by KillerLeft - 02-23-2021, 03:39 PM