Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
(02-23-2021, 09:48 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: One important data point not discussed about Terry and Green is that they are one and done guys. The true comparison would be to guys like Maxey, etc. that we passed up on. The college ready guys seem to be doing fairly well right now like Bey and Bane. 

I have been hard on the rookies but its going to take them at least 1 summer league and off season camp before we have a true perception of their upside.

That is true.  Terry is an extreme example of this too.  He was not a well known high school prospect and sort of got a lot of press near the end of their shortened season last year and become known to us amateur draft guys near or at the end of the season.  You also have to account that he is just starting to grow into his body and is behind a lot of the more developed prospects.

I have seen both the strengths and negatives from all the scouting reports I read before the draft.  As far as his strengths go, I don't think he is as weak as I expected early on.   Also, he is really pretty crafty finishing in the lane.  This is a great development.  Some guys have it and some guys like Dennis Smith can do everything right but then not finish.    As far as negatives go, I think he looks to glide around a little too much and is a little carless at times passing the ball.   I think this will be big areas of improvement.  

Long term, I think shooting will determine his fate.   For me there are three levels for him: Good three point shooter, great three point shooter and Steph Curry three point shooter.   The Steph level is probably unrealistic as those are very rare.  If he is a good three point shooter, he will probably bounce around awhile and maybe eventually find a niche.  It probably won't be here.   There is nothing wrong with being a good (50-70% ranking with peers). If he is a great three point shooter, he should be given time to develop and have the rest of his game improve as well.   I hope he would be given time to develop here if that is the case.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Terry, Bey & Hinton | Josh Green now joining - by Chicagojk - 02-23-2021, 10:00 AM