Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.0 pt RAPTOR favs & 2.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
50.00%
4 50.00%
Nuggets
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 17: DEN (10-7) @ DAL (8-9) | 113-117 loss
(01-25-2021, 11:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am not dying on any single game +/- , where is that happening? I am simply offering it up as one piece of information because it does tell us something and something is better than just throwing our opinions back and forth. 

Like I said, JJ was really poor defensively at the beginning and then at the very end he got punished (and REALLY seems to suck with KP, and that might be KP's fault too). But in the middle of the game and 3rd quarter was much better, especially offensively. I also clearly said that this was an observation of 16 games from me, not a one off reaction.

The point being is that Johnson just like WCS really struggles in lineups with bad spacing. Is that on the player or the coaches (current situation). WCS +/- is just as bad when he shares the floor with Iwundu but he plays most of his minutes next to Luka and THJ. Johnson/WCS is one of the worst combinations as well. Both need shooters around them or the offense is going to look really bad.

Talking about WCS being a liability on offense. Among Mavs bigs he is the wost pick and roll player. He is a bad screener and has no "roll gravity".

Among current Mavs bigs:

Kleber 89.7 percentile 1.42 ppp (more of a pick and pop player)
Powell 70.5 percentile 1.23 ppp
KP 69 percentile 1.21ppp
WCS 51.1 percentile 1.08ppp

With a pick and roll heavy offense and Luka as the ballhandler the Mavs need more from the roll man. The rim runner should be able to generate at least 3-4 easy dunks/layups per game. That´s what Powell did in the last few years. Bad spacing is still the biggest problem and one of the reasons why Luka has less space to create in the paint but not having a good pick and roll partner is nearly as big of a problem.
That´s why the offense looked a lot better against the Spurs and Pacers. KP as the lone big with better spacing is the best option on offense.
Bottom line is that the Mavs need to find the right balance. I really hope that Maxi or Powell can provide enough defense in WCS role but that remains to be seen.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 17: DEN (9-7) @ DAL (8-8) | Jan 25, 7:30 pm | Mavs 3.0 pt favs & 2.0 pt dogs - by dirkfansince1998 - 01-25-2021, 11:33 PM