Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell
(01-09-2021, 09:13 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: So, I heard about this big on another team who came back from Achilles surgery about as quickly as any NBA player ever.  He's now got a TS% over 60%, a WS/48 of .144 and the second best D-Rating on his team at 103.  Fans are frustrated because it has taken some time for his O to return to his normal level (as evidenced by an Offensive W/S of 0.2 compared to his five year average of 3.5).  But, his team is really struggling to hit outside shots, so the lane, where this guy thrives, has been pretty crowded.  There is a chance this guy will look dramatically better when the teams superstar big returns from injury.  The two of them have a fantastic history when paired and the superstar big will dramatically improve the spacing the injured guy has to work with.  Should we be interested in that guy?

I wouldn't be interested unless he's a minimum salary guy (or close to it). Maybe not even then. Backup bigs are a dime a dozen, and I'd rather invest a roster spot in one who hasn't been injured so significantly. A big who loses some of his ability to elevate (like an Achilles injury will do) just won't be the same guy, even if we can find some of the stats for a few games to still look decent. If he's using an excuse that the shooters are missing, that's just a deflection, because if you can't elevate, then more made shots still won't restore your ability to finish.

I remember how Wes M came back early and immediately was "almost back to normal" except he NEVER really regained that lost step. Waited for years. Stayed mediocre.

As for Powell, before the injury he had one good trick - going up and finishing the pick and roll - which is now gone. His shooting, defense, and rebounding were certainly not strengths even before he lost some ability. I know RC is loyal, and Powell has knowledge to be in the right place (even if he can't do much once there), but I think the Mavs have much better options now.

You seem to be his best fan and determined to see him start. I think that's nice, but I would rather see the best player play with the highest ceiling, and I don't think Powell is any of that.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's be real about what we had with Starter Powell - by F Gump - 01-09-2021, 07:46 PM