Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used
FTR: Boban Watch. Mavs 108, Bulls 118  Angel

(01-04-2021, 07:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think we already had this conversation a few times. In the end no former team used Boban in a more featured role so we don´t know if he could be as dominant as you think. It´s  not like Boban is getting less minutes in Dallas. Looking at his career he played in about 2/3 of all games and around 10 minutes per game. Be it SA, Detroit, LA or Dallas. The only coach that tried to give him more minutes was Brown but he also is the guy that thought Simmons, Horford and Embiid could start together.

I'm not rehashing just venting as I stated, based on what I observe.  Only going to address this because you did.  Notice for example here, I'm not even about the total career or game minutes, seven min in this case.
The minutes were token, and not at a time or in a way it could really help the team. 
He was definitely used in a more impactful role in all of the prior stops.  

In terms of minutes, look at who he backed up?  Despite the fact that he played behind Allstar centers like Tim Duncan, Andre Drummond, DeAndre Jordan/Montrez Harrell and Joel Embiid.  Average backup minutes are going to be limited for anyone in those stops.  

In Philly last stop for example he helped win playoff games and a series when Embiid was out. 
In LA, behind a 2 deep center rotation he managed to get impactful minutes ( and kicked off the Tobi/Bobi show).  
In SA, even as a rookie he made a mark behind Duncan and played so well he earned a big contract with the next team. 
In Detroit the coach is on record saying he though the minutes still should have been higher, even with the strong rotation in front of him. 

Your point on total minutes is a decent one, but here in Dallas its tokenized and even when not behind any  Allstar center rotation like prior stops, his career minutes are actually trending down when he should be getting better as a veteran player.  
More importantly, as what the 6th center, I just think he's getting badly marginalized, wasted as a player and not a good fit for the Coaches system. This despite the fact the team's offense has been consistently unreliable at a key times. 

Just suggesting they might do themselves and Boban a favor if he actually cares about his career as a player by looking for a possible trade partner. He wouldn't be the first player to find new life and minutes by landing in the right spot.  Look at Trey Burke now in Dallas

That's my 2cents but hey as far as he and his agent they might be happy to cheerlead, towel wave and baby sit.  Maybe he'll get more movie roles, there's always that.    Wink
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic3.srcdn.com%2Fwor...f=1&nofb=1]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used - by Dahlsim - 01-05-2021, 10:15 AM