Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trade Targets and Giannis-Option
This was an easy read. And some good ideas. 

I think Allen would be an interesting avenue. But it'd be hard to trade with the Nets and it'd make sense for both teams. Unless the Nets really love Dwight Powell, I don't see the Mavs trading for another C. 

(11-28-2020, 01:20 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: While we cannot provide the Nets with a 3rd star option, we can offer a cheap long-term replacement in Maxi Kleber. Maybe throw in THJ for Dinwiddie for a short-term upgrade on an expiring contract. Add a pick and here we go.

One of my biggest hangups is that while Allen is a talented player, I don't think he fills the biggest need that the Mavs have. I'll be forthright and say I only watched 2 Nets games last year, and I barely paid any attention to Allen at all. So I do not know his strengths and weakness outside of just general NBA knowledge that he is athletic and a great shotblocker. Other than that I don't know what else he brings. 

Maxi on the other hand, I believe is a lynchpin for this Mavs defense. His defensive versatility is something we haven't had since Shawn Marion. Obviously Maxi isn't at the level of peak Marion, but he's certainly an under the radar all-defense guy. To give him up for a less versatile rim defender when we already have KP seems like a step back. Now I can be totally wrong and Allen can be a switchable big on the perimeter, but I haven't seen it. 

Dinwiddie is also a wonky fit. He's a worse shooter than THJ (Career 32% on nearly 5 attempts a game) and his fit next to Luka isn't lock and key. So while the Mavs get an interesting prospect in Allen, I don't think he's good enough to warrant any of our key rotation players. And he's not bad enough for the Nets to take on a bad contract like Powell. Because of that I don't think the Mavs can be trade partners with the Nets. 

That is, unless they want to assist the Nets as a 3rd team in a Harden trade. I'd gladly take Allen for taking on the contract of Eric Gordon. (But in doing so the Mavs make it all that much harder to get space for the Giannis chase, effectively defeating the point of Allen being a cheap and cheerful option).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Trade Targets and Giannis-Option - by SleepingHero - 11-28-2020, 02:12 PM