Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Juan Jose Barea to DAL | 1yrs, $2.6M (vet min) | now released
Quote:5. Who will be odd man out?

It’s certainly feasible that one of the other 16 standard-contracted players gets waived or traded, but as training camp begins a once-upon-a-time tale seems in order.
The 1989-90 New Jersey Nets, coached by Bill Fitch, started 3-4 (on their way to a 17-65 finish) at which point Roy Hinson was due to be activated from injury.
One Nets guard, a 30-year-old journeyman, figured he was the odd man out. Unknown to him, Fitch had been closely studying him, as Fitch in 2016 described to The News.
“I remember really judging (the player) during the last practices of the preseason, watching his attitude, what affect he had as an older player on the younger players,” Fitch recalled. “I broke up a fight one time between he and one of the younger guys, which was good because the younger guy needed somebody to challenge him.”
Seven games into the season, Fitch summoned that player.
“You’re waived,” Fitch said. As the player started to thank him for the opportunity, Fitch interrupted. “Wait, I’m not done yet.”

Fitch asked the player to be one of his assistant coaches. That player, you’ve probably by now figured out, was Rick Carlisle.

https://t.co/5EZahhUXhC?amp=1

Brad's anecdote might be predicting what happens. We'll see. . .
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA: Juan Jose Barea [5'6", 4'11" WS] to DAL | 1yrs, $2.6M (vet min) - by FunkBoreland - 11-28-2020, 12:02 AM