Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CONTRACT OPTIONS: THJ Opts In | WCS to opt OUT | Hayward opts OUT
(11-17-2020, 10:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1328895413903126529

Quote:There was no indication that Boston and Dallas were talking. No fire. No smoke. Only these facts: Boston is a team with too many wings and payroll to shed; the Mavericks' greatest need is a wing player and they crave adding a creator alongside Luka Doncic.

Yes, there are immense hurdles to making a deal, primarily how Dallas would be able to stack enough salaries to match Hayward’s to make a deal work and meet Boston’s expected talent return.

But perhaps now Dallas is more willing to give Hayward, despite his injury history, a multi-year extension through a sign and trade. And then there is this: There is no general manager to whom Nelson is closer than the Celtics' Danny Ainge. If any GMs can work out sticky details, it’s Nelson and Ainge.

The other day Donnie made mention of how good his relationship is with Mark Bartelstein (the agent part of this love triangle with Donnie and Danny).  Bartelstein also represents THJ.  I tend to doubt that Hardaway is in this deal.  Part of what makes his lack of playmaking at the 2 OK is bringing in someone at the 3 who can create.  If you are going multi-year on Hayward, you should spend the entire MLE on a multi-year player and you should extend Hardaway.

Without THJ (assuming I'm right), it is hard to get to $34 million without really impacting the Dallas roster.  I've mentioned the possibility of an extend-and-trade, but I don't think that is the most likely play here.  I think you do something like what Milwaukee and Sacramento are doing.  You announce it as a S & T.  Note the Bogdanovic trade doesn't include any current year draft picks.  Boston and Dallas could certainly swap some picks, but I bet that swap would be something that stands on its own (just in case something goes wrong with the S&T).

To me, any Boston deal with Dallas starts with Maxi.  He fits what they do perfectly.  The math for this is projecting what Hayward would get per year a year from now...times two...and add the $34mm he is giving up by opting out.  For instance, $20mm + $20mm + $34mm = $74mm.  Then you divide by 3 and factor in the 5% raises.  You come out at something like $23.5mm which takes $18.4mm to match.  Maxi and Wright make $17.25mm.  Suddenly this isn't too hard to do without THJ.  If the number is $85mm instead of $74mm you just add in Jackson.  I'm not sure it has to be much more complex than that.  Bartelstein has the Atlanta hammer, so Boston won't get a king's ransom here.  We all love Maxi, but there are bigs to be had in free agency.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CONTRACT OPTIONS: THJ to opt in? | WCS to opt out? | Hayward delayed for trade? - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-18-2020, 08:06 AM