Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used
(09-18-2020, 05:38 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Well I am done. I am actually investing time. Doing some research to back up my case with tracking and matchup data and the response is basically a simple I don´t care combined with the same things you have already stated in your initial post. As long as you are comparing Boban to Jokic or Shaq we simply won´t reach a common ground.

(09-18-2020, 05:08 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Anyway, I could flip that and say "relax, emots, a little bold text and color never hurt anyone".

Last part from me was more of a joke. Felt like the entire post had some kind of angry vibe.

Not angry.  Good debate, you made some good points. 
Fortunately the world is bigger than this board and I'm not the only one that sees the comparison of Boban to other great NBA players. 

The most efficient players in modern NBA history
Leaders in career points per shot attempt, 1974-2018
PLAYER
YEARS
POINTS PER SHOT ATTEMPT

Boban Marjanovic
2016-2018
Adrian Dantley
1977-1991
Charles Barkley
1985-2000
James Harden
2010-2018
Shaquille O’Neal
1993-2011

For players with a mininmum of 30 points per 100 possessions in 100 regular-season games.
SOURCE: BASKETBALL REFERENCE 

Boban is a subject others have written and wondered about. 
Why The Most Efficient Scorer In NBA History Is Stuck On The Bench
and a more recent piece 
Boban Marjanovic is a true unstoppable force 

So yes, we can agree to disagree.  Good talkin.  Cool

This is why I said the perception some have of Boban on defense is often exaggerated: 

Quote:A few numbers highlight how much Marjanovic struggles with perimeter-oriented bigs. So far this season, he is defending 14 midrange and 3-point tries per 100 shot attempts, the most in the NBA among the 365 players who’ve contested at least 30 such shots so far, according to Second Spectrum. Exacerbating the issue even more: Players are shooting about 15 effective field-goal percentage points better than expected against him from that range, according to Second Spectrum data, the worst gap of any center in the league to this point.

None of this is to suggest that Marjanovic, who signed with the Spurs as a free agent back in 2015, has no skill on defense. Coming into this season, he held opposing players to far less than their usual averages when shooting within six feet of the rim, likely the result of his disruptive 7-foot-8 wingspan and 9-foot-7 standing reach that make him one of the largest players in NBA history. And if he had played enough minutes to qualify for the leaderboard, Marjanovic’s career total rebound percentage (21.9 percent) would put him right behind former Piston Dennis Rodman, who holds the best rate of all time (23.4 percent).

But above all else, Marjanovic is a scorer. He’s very good at establishing position near the basket.
And once he catches the ball, either off an entry pass or after a teammate has lofted it to where only he can catch it, he has an array of moves that make him even more difficult to guard.

The point is, Bobi isn't a defensive star, his biggest concern back then was against stretch bigs on the perimeter.  I've noticed he's been somewhat better against those players in the last couple of years and the biggest challenge is the ever present PnR.  In general though, his defensive impact has not been the total loss some make it out to be.  

He is at least an obstacle at the rim and his rebounding impacts defense as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used - by Dahlsim - 09-18-2020, 06:52 PM