Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Boban watch. was 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used
(09-16-2020, 11:02 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 10:48 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 10:16 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: The Nuggets big Game 7 win over the Clippers demonstrated EXACTLY what I was ranting about in this thread and in general about what I wished the Mavericks and Coach Carlisle would do, but I knew they wouldn't.  

The Nuggets STUN the Clippers in Game 7, the same Clippers that the Mavericks couldn't handle and a BIG part of the reason why was the BIG man and the way they used their SIZE advantage over the small ball center super wings guard heavy super D' Clippers. 

I wasn't just the monster Nikola Jokic game putting up a triple-double with 16 points, 13 assists, and 22 rebounds leading the Nuggets to get the Game 7 upset over the Clippers.
It was the fact that Clippers had to often throw 2 and 3 players at the big man then scramble back, opening up the scoring for Jamaal and company.  They also were compromised in floor position for rebounding as the floor was wide open for the Nuggets size with the slow footed Jokic getting a ridiculous 22 point triple double! 

Thing about it is, even after the Unicorn was sadly injured and out, giving up some of the Dallas size advantage, they still had Boban.  Boban had already demonstrated on multiple occasions, in the full game earlier in the season and then alter in his short minute stints that he could really hurt the Clippers.  
It just wasn't in the coaching playbook for Dallas.  Fortunately for the Nuggets, down 3-1, they found it in their playbook! 
[video=youtube] https://youtu.be/wWQodbewQpA[/video]

Sure. Find me a center like Jokic and I am all for a big lineup. Fact is that they did play single big lineups. Not the previously used Plumlee-Jokic combination. They also had bigger/stronger wing defenders (Millsap, Grant).
Boban was great against Harrell but not good against Zubac. For a player like Jokic the matchup doesn´t matter. He is the best player on the floor. Not to mention that he is a way better defender than Boban.
This wasn´t about going big or small. This was about a unique alltime great performance from Jokic who is easily the best passing big ever.

It was about our shoters going cold and their roleplayers hitting everything in the end. 

Don't tell me about perimeter defense, just us not hitting good looks and them hitting the prayers. And Kawaih being automatic and us not allowed to play defense against him.

KP would have helped of course...

KP certainly would have helped and did help before he was injured.  The difference for KP vs Boban is KP IS a high utilization offensive player, so he had the chance to impact the game much more and his minutes are much higher so naturally his size advantage was a BIG loss.  Confused

The point is, instead of continuing to find ways to exploit the size advantage, the Mavericks tried to go more toe to toe, small on small which played right in LAC and Doc River's hands. 

I don't imply just this one factor caused the Mavs loss, but it was HUGE factor and it could have been a difference maker.  We'll never know, but we did see it work against this same Clipper team that ousted the Mavericks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 playoff Mavericks 1 Chance has almost No Chance to be Used - by Dahlsim - 09-16-2020, 11:27 AM