Poll: Is NBA officiating systemically rigged
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes! Overall it is obvious!
61.54%
16 61.54%
No! Certainly not!
11.54%
3 11.54%
I am not sure about it.
26.92%
7 26.92%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is NBA officiating systemically rigged?
I don't think it's rigged, but the officiating is certainly not good. 

"Do not attribute to malice that which can be easily explained by incompetence" 

I think Hanlon's razor is perfectly applied here. Being a ref is a very hard job. If you've ever sat near the court, you can see just how fast the game is played. You have to make a quick choice in seconds, and there is a bunch of pressure. It's unrealistic to think a ref can get EVERY call correct. They're human. Plus it's easy to see stuff on camera's not in the environment of the game. Furthermore, if you've ever played competitive basketball you'd know just how much the refs can't see.

With all that said, the calls that refs often miss are quite blatant. I don't immediately jump to something fishy, but it certainly raises questions. I just think the refs need to be trained better, but their union is a bulwark. Run by a brotherhood of ineptitude and hubris. You see it whenever ESPN has their ref associate come on and agree with whatever the questionable call was.

I do believe a problem like this is insidious in nature. It will cause cracks in the NBA product. Cause people to question the legitimacy of every victory, whilst slowly degrading interest. "Why should I care about who's playing? *Insert big market team here* is going to win anyways".  People question the downturn in NBA ratings, I think the reffing issue is one of the main causes of it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is NBA officiating systemically rigged? - by SleepingHero - 08-26-2020, 07:25 PM