Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 135, Clippers 133
(08-24-2020, 03:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 02:18 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Love the takes in this thread. Writing to express minor disagreement with 2 of them. 

1. Morris is the kind of quality role player this team is missing. But don’t think for a second he could bring what Maxi is providing. Rim protection from a guy who can also defend the perimeter? That is practically non-existent in the NBA. The Clips need a guy like Maxi way worse than we need a bruiser like Morris. Swap those 2 guys and we wouldn’t have stood a chance last night. 

2. Tap the brakes on Trey Burke. Love the guy. But without Beverly, the Clips have no one who can defend that type of player. Remember how waterbug point guards used to have career nights weekly against the Mavs? That’s who the Patless Clips are right now. Trey is doing a marvelous job of taking advantage of that. But he hasn’t transformed into our 3rd best player.

I don't think any seriously believes he's our 3rd best player. The argument right now is prob whether or not we'd rather have him or Brunson as the backup PG. I really don't think they are mutually exclusive even if redundant bc Rick loves guards. Brunson plays a methodical pace more like Luka and Trey flies down the court. I love the fast-paced offense look that you see when Seth and Trey are both out there and Luka is sitting. The argument right now is how much the Mavs will pay to keep Burke this offseason.

3rd best?  Not even close.  Rolleyes  

What he is showing is that he can be the instant offense sort of microwave scorer that can really complement a transcendent talent like Luka.  

I used JJB as an example.  Remember what happened when JJB got a big contract off his super season with the Championship Mavericks?  Did he ever even come close to living up to that contract in Minnesota? 

Burke might be a dangerous post-bubble overpay, especially for a team that doesn't have the environment for him to thrive. 
Brunson is still pretty young to say if he continues to trend up but off of their current careers no way I even put Burke ahead of Brunson and definitely not over Seth.  On the depth chart though, Carlisle likes guards, he likes to play small often and he could definitely use Burke as a guy like JJB prepares for sunset. 

As I said both Burke and Boban can be extremely hard for a defense to stop when they are playing alongside a great playmaker like a Doncic.  IF they can play just enough defense they can more than offset their shortcomings against most counterparts. 
In a league with the type of high scoring the NBA has now, and the rules that make defense harder than ever to play, those guys can be very valuable.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 135, Clippers 133 - by Dahlsim - 08-24-2020, 04:57 PM