Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 135, Clippers 133
(08-24-2020, 02:18 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Love the takes in this thread. Writing to express minor disagreement with 2 of them. 

1. Morris is the kind of quality role player this team is missing. But don’t think for a second he could bring what Maxi is providing. Rim protection from a guy who can also defend the perimeter? That is practically non-existent in the NBA. The Clips need a guy like Maxi way worse than we need a bruiser like Morris. Swap those 2 guys and we wouldn’t have stood a chance last night. 

2. Tap the brakes on Trey Burke. Love the guy. But without Beverly, the Clips have no one who can defend that type of player. Remember how waterbug point guards used to have career nights weekly against the Mavs? That’s who the Patless Clips are right now. Trey is doing a marvelous job of taking advantage of that. But he hasn’t transformed into our 3rd best player.

I don't think any seriously believes he's our 3rd best player. The argument right now is prob whether or not we'd rather have him or Brunson as the backup PG. I really don't think they are mutually exclusive even if redundant bc Rick loves guards. Brunson plays a methodical pace more like Luka and Trey flies down the court. I love the fast-paced offense look that you see when Seth and Trey are both out there and Luka is sitting. The argument right now is how much the Mavs will pay to keep Burke this offseason.

Looking at his salary history he had his rookie deal and then has been a vet min player ever sense and that's 6 years worth of history. Its surprising he hasn't made more but I think it's because the book on him is that he's an offense-only 3rd PG. Now I think it's reasonable to think he could be up to and including the rMLE as a solid backup PG. Going above that might be a little bit crazy unless the Mavs knock off the Clippers and he continues to have an electric playoffs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 135, Clippers 133 - by StepBackJay - 08-24-2020, 03:34 PM