Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114
(08-21-2020, 02:10 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: To Dan and the others who agree with him - I'm sorry, I simply beg to differ. Did you see how furious Luka was at the end of Game 1 when Curry and THJ shot us out of the game by not having the ball go through him? When you have one of the ten best creators in game, who is likely to be top five within a year or two, then yes, you do want to have other stars around him, yes, you need another ballhandler/facilitator (preferably more than one!) to spell him when he sits and to take a bit of the pressure off him - and, reluctantly yes, perhaps even diversify the offense a bit - when he's on the court. But no, absolutely not, you do not get a guy who is going to actively demand the ball away from him, no matter how big a name the guy has, and no, that player does not facilitate for more than 25% of the time shared with Luka. To do otherwise is 1) to grossly waste Luka, and 2) very likely to piss him off royally and inspire him to seek greener pastures. And don't @ me with Llull and Dragic. Luka was a less mature player then.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I don't think that is a bad thought. To me, the end of the game is full on Luka, almost exclusively. I think the main thought to the contrary is getting the team to that end of the game point where the game is at least close and Luka is not fully gassed from doing it all game/season. 

We've seen the gradual dip in his numbers for 2 seasons now. I think that is avoidable if we have someone who is confident and able, so as to shave some of that top of the league usage % down.

Him as a decoy here and there doesn't change the defensive strategy the opposite team employs. It just gives them a different look that hopefully catches them off guard.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114 - by ItsGoTime - 08-21-2020, 06:07 PM