Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114
Kawhi does look small but man he is so strong he can just bully a much taller DFS. Somehow Kawhi is listed as weighing more than DFS? I think DFS could do well getting stronger. I know he is a guy that can guard multiple positions but I still feel like we need a stronger wing in the mix. We are sort of using Maxi as a big wing even though he is built more like a traditional PF.

(08-20-2020, 10:44 AM)Jommybone Wrote: 2. Maxi's 10 boards impressed the heck out of me. At least half of them were hotly contested, by which I mean Clips players were taking free swings at his arms and face. And yet he held on. Reminds of Nellie's musing about young Dirk, how he’d never before seen a guy "become" a rebounder. Maybe there’s something Wurzburgy about that.

I think we are seeing what we wanted to see entering the season with Maxi starting next to KP. Many of us thought they were great compliments to each other. Powell ended up getting the job and did very well but to the detriment of KP as he couldn't really get comfortable in the offense. Maxi gives you defense, outside shooting and rebounding. The issue was I think Rick wanted Maxi to play the KP role off the bench, which again worked well but we are seeing that Maxi makes the team better in the starting lineup.

In the offseason I thought the lineup would be Luka, Wright, DFS, Maxi, KP. It became clear that DP was favored over Maxi and then the Wright experiment didn't work so it quickly became musical chairs there until THJ took hold of that spot.

Going into next season it's possible the lineup you see now is our most popular lineup (knowing Rick will go small some nights). I could see it being Maxi or Donnie getting another 3D big wing to take Maxi's spot and bringing Maxi off the bench with DP, Brunson, Curry.

(08-20-2020, 10:36 AM)michaeltex Wrote: As happy as we all are right now, who wasn't holding their breath when it was a 10 point game with 4 minutes to go?

I was but the Mavs thankfully continued to run their offense and didn't do the Lebon-style dribble the ball for 20 seconds and jack up a poor shot.

I actually think the solve for the Mavs woes late in game is pretty easy to fix. The plan is to give Luka the ball virtually every possession under 5 min. Last night was weird bc he was playing with 5 fouls but usually he is getting a good look for him or his teammates every time. Harden does this, LeBron does this, Dame usually does this. You see Kawhi do this sometimes altho PG is another good option. Even if Luka struggles sometimes, he will eventually figure it out and then he'll be unstoppable.

Dirk made a living taking a lot of possessions late and he didn't have the ability to create his own shot off the dribble like a guard. Once we figure out to not give the ball to THJ or KP even it's going to be better for everybody. One of those guys still might take the shot but Luka needs to initiate every offensive possession.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114 - by StepBackJay - 08-20-2020, 01:07 PM