Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114
Great review, not much to comment on. A couple of my thoughts:
- Burke is a great fit for Mavs because he can play next to Luka and is a secondary facilitator. He can shoot, he is able to facilitate (mostly for himself, but still), he tries on defense. We could imagine how Mavs would look if there was an even better player in his place starting (the Kemba idea). Out of 2020 free agents, only Fred Van Vleet looks like a type of player, that would fit into this specific role. But I doubt Mavs have a chance of signing him.
- I wonder if the countless fouls and sending Clippers to the line was part of strategy. While it gave them a lot of freebies, it may have also disrupted their offense and didn't get them going. Something like Clippers did to Luka in the first regular season match. In any case, I liked Mavs disrupting the fastbreak by strict fouls and not allowing easy baskets. Even though a couple should be avoided (Luka fifth personal)
- Clippers didn't look well in this series so far and I am not sure if it was Mavs performance or their internal problems, whatever they might be. They looked anemic, not focused. Kawhi is a robot that contributes his around 30 points on efficient shooting every night, but even him doesn't look so engaged and he doesn't really involve his teammates. Defense was not on a level we had seen before in the regular season. The only time Clippers seemed like otherwordly contenders were that first three minutes in game 1. Luka couldn't drive so often, so easy and so efficiently against Clippers in the regular season games.
- I really liked what I have seen so far, and I can basically give a positive grade, even if Mavs lose next three games fighting same way as they did in first two. Clippers are still incredibly deep team. What I really like is that Mavs showed heart and incredible mental stability. To come back after that horrible start in game 1, to come even more determined in game 2 after that refs stupidity in game 1. That is big and really something to build on. They showed they are more than just flashy offense. 
- It will be interesting to watch the Clippers answer tomorrow, especially from George. Will he bounce back with a huge game, sink deeper with another mediocre performance or something inbetween.
- I love how Mavs have completely neutralized someone like Shamet, who was very good in the regular season
- Luka is absolutely owning the Clippers point guards Jackson, Beverly and Williams offensively. As soon he is switched on one of them is almost an automatic score or foul. I hope Mavs will continue to be able to create this mismatches. The fourth player that was a target either by Doncic or Burke was Green
- I am not sure why RC singled Wright that way. To me, it didn't look like he played well. Offensively he was mostly bad with three turnovers, stupid three pointer and aimless dribling followed by a pass to guarded teammate with a couple of seconds left. Defensively I also didn't notice anything game changing. Did I miss something? Was the speach to boost Wright confidence (we really need him playing well)? Or was it a sales pitch? Smile 

(08-20-2020, 03:07 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: KP not having a spectacular scoring game by his lofty standards

He had a very good game imho, he scored 23 on just 13 shots. He didn't need to shoot more because others were also very efficient. Or were others very efficient because defense is so focused on KP? Smile
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114 - by omahen - 08-20-2020, 05:02 AM