Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
(08-18-2020, 01:06 PM)Darth Cuban Wrote: “That is why he and his teammates need to get in the habit of responding to bad calls with something other than an air punch. He could, like, do a Tim Duncan palms up with a disbelieving expression instead. Or something. Each player can develop his own signature method of exhibiting disagreement, if he wants. So that their bodies don't react by offering the refs the opportunity to make a call.”

Haha. This just illustrates the absurdity of the rule.
It is rather comical, isn't it? If only it hadn't been so disastrous in this game. 

I'm not sure why an air punch should be an automatic foul, at least if another person is not within connecting distance.

I guess part of it is the idea that air punches are inherently disrespectful, sort of like giving the finger. I don't know that I agree with that. To me, an air punch is more an indication of frustration than disrespect. And many bodily reactions that are allowed are at least as disrespectful as punching the air, if not moreso. 

I suspect the main reason for the automatic foul rule is that they don't want players throwing punches on the court, no matter what the circumstances are. 

We certainly don't have to agree with that. But, at any rate, it's an easy rule to avoid running afoul of, and I suspect the Mavs will not encounter it again!

(08-18-2020, 04:41 PM)mtrot Wrote: now that the precedent has been set, I expect the refs to call techs on ANY player who makes a similar fist gesture about a call with which he disagrees.  I don't care if it's Harden, Lebron, Giannis, or whomever else it is
Damn straight. It is supposed to be an automatic foul no matter who the player is, and in fairness, they did call it on Paul George as well as KP.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118 - by mavsluvr - 08-18-2020, 05:09 PM